Chapter 39: Third Betrayal

Start from the beginning

"I remember. It was a grim day. I recall it all too well," Otto concurred.

"Yeah... a terrible day for us, but a good one for you – wasn't it? Jaehaerys named you Hand in Baelon's stead."

"That's hardly how I viewed it, Your Grace. It was a duty. A solemn pledge to a king I could not refuse."

"You served my grandfather dutifully, faithfully, and nobly until his final days. You are the man who taught me how to be a king."

"Oh, you honor me, Your Grace."

Viserys sighed. "Just five days... you went from being another man in King Jaehaerys the Wise's court, to the second most powerful man in the realm. I wonder... how long did it take you to choose yourself over your king? How I demanded you swear an oath to not breathe a word of the allegations you informed me of surrounding my daughter weeks ago until they suddenly began to spread like wildfire," he questioned.

Otto stood puzzled. This was not like Viserys at all, not in the fifteen years he's known him. He couldn't help but suspect something was up. "Your... Your Grace?" he asked confused.

« The seeds of corruption have been supplanted in this castle and were left to spread for a time. Not from outside, but from within. »

The words of his son-in-law and heir to the Iron Throne soon resonated in Otto's mind. Now it made sense. Otto knew that Viserys was being manipulated – subtly, but manipulated, nonetheless, by a third party. "This is an absurdity, Your Grace. I've known you for fifteen years," he stated. "Your son, my daughter... they love each other, as I know you understand. All the work we have done was solely for the benefit of the crown. To uphold and honor King Jaehaerys's legacy."

"Yes, Otto. I know. I will never recover from Aemma's death. Your daughter made my heir the happiest he's ever been in a long time since his mother passed, they blessed us with three wonderful little grandchildren... I do not doubt that your intentions were good and that you meant well, but I'm afraid your interests no longer align with those of my house or that of the realm. Your judgment has been compromised because of that."

« I highly recommend you instead look more inward. Father is too amiable, open-handed, and eager to please. He'll never see it coming until it blows up in his face. »

"A loyal Hand must tell his king a discomforting truth from time to time, Your Grace, even if it is something he does not wish to hear. If he doesn't... he's failed as a servant."

"You were a good servant, Otto," Viserys nodded. He will not deny his words. Nevertheless, he felt that the allegations were now being made known and the White Worm's message informing him that his family was being spied upon was something he had to personally deal with. Reaching over, he gently removed the Hand's badge of office from Otto's tunic. "The crown and the realm both owe you a debt that can never be repaid. But I can no longer trust your judgment."

Otto, now dismissed from his role as Hand of the King, could not help but graciously bow before Viserys and turned to leave. He had to gather his household guard for the long journey back to Oldtown from the roseroad along with his three sons but had to leave Alicent behind. She was the princess consort and could not go with him, unlike her brothers as she was still a direct line of contact with Viserys. As he turned the corner, a few servants hurriedly rushed away from him. Otto will just now have to jump through more loops to get what he wants.

« I trust you'll make the right choice. »

The silent, stern, highly intellectual knight of House Hightower could now affirm that there was political subterfuge being carried out... and he was among one of many victims targeted in this treacherous ploy. But Otto won't be silent for long. No, he had to rally support from the other houses with as much influence as he could muster. Thunder rumbled in the background as the rain slowly began to pour into the castle courtyard.