OK

TEENFICTION

Her eyes looked strong but her smile was missing from her lips, and the glow missing from her cheeks.

He laughed like nothing was wrong, his eyes alive, cheeks bright.

Carelessly he threw her a sideways glance, his smile fading as they washed over her face. "Are you-"

"Okay?" she finishes, her eyes dulling dramatically.

"Yeah, are you?" he asks, stopping walking, watching as she stops two steps ahead of him. Her back illuminated by the soft lights of the lampposts, her coat blowing behind her in the small breeze.

"Define okay," she whispers.

"Huh?"

"Define okay? Like okay the adjective? Satisfactory, but not exceptional. Or the okay, that means yes I'm okay, I sleep at night, I eat, I'm fine, I'm alive." Her hands hand loosely by her sides, but her face was pulled into a sick smile.

"Erm-"

"Because no. I'm not okay. And I've never been okay and I never will be okay. So quit pretending that it's going to be okay, because it's not! Okay?" She's shouting now, a tear falling down her face breaking her stone features, her legs giving way beneath her as she crumples to the fall like a limp doll.

"Are you..."

"Broken? Shattered? Lost, tired, misplaced, numb?" she supplies, "because yes, Jack. I'm all of those things. I'm not happy, not strong, not smiley, not cheerful, not awake, I'm not. I'm not, okay?"

"Okay," he says back but she can already hear his retreating footsteps.

When it's silent, and the only thing she can hear is her own breathing, she tilts her head, looking behind her.

"Figures," she grins, wiping her tears, seeing the empty space where he once stood. Taking a shaky breath she stands, her legs week but already piecing them selves back together.

Wiping her self down, she smiles a smile so broken it was a surprise that it didn't fall off her face and shatter to the ground.

"And now I'm alone," she breathes.

"Again."

Just as she was about to continue to walk, a pair of strong hands wrapped around her and a head nuzzles her neck.

"I'm not okay too..."

It was him. He came back.