Chapter 24

Apparently, Edric had been staring wide-eyed for a while.

The Collector standing and shuffling over to get a peek at what the greenette was looking at.

Collector: Hey... The darkness stuffs'gone...

Edric nodded once. The Collector glancing at him, prominent bags under his eyes.

Collector: 'S—that a good thing ora good thin'...?

Edric finally took his eyes off it it, just to look at the Collector with a side-eye, who held his face in an exhaustive agony.

Collector: 'M reaaaally out of it...

Edric could only nod.

Realizing then that he had no idea what day it was and how long the barrier had been down.

Unbeknownst to them, a guard had been killed by the explosion, too. Though it had taken a while for him to be put out of his misery.

In the very least, nothing seemed to be happening, and they were right in the middle of the barrier, as far as Edric could tell.

Edric, after feeling his leg again, resolved for them to both sit down again.

The Collector seemed so tired that he was struggling to fall back asleep.

Through his lack of a filter, he spoke up.

Collector: So... Whatyasaid earlier... What didyamean...?

Edric tilted his head.

Edric B.: Like, what part?

The Collector let his head fall backward with a thud as it met the wall, staring at the ceiling as he slowly but surely woke up completely.

There was a small blush on his face, what was later determined to be embarrassment.

Collector: You said "killed" and "death"... Whatdothosemean...? I've heardem before... But I never... Never figured out what they...

Edric's eyes went wide.

How he had known the context behind the Collector and not figured this out was beyond him.

It only made sense for him to not understand the concept.

But...

How exactly could he explain it?

Edric B.: Well...

Edric had made his uncertainty clear, but—likely because of the still-prominent daze—patience was the only reply.

Edric B.: Death is basically when a person stops, existing, I guess. Not—Not just a person, plants, animals, almost everything dies at some point.

He looked out the window.

Edric B.: The Titan died a while ago, too.

The Collector narrowed his eyes as he looked out.

Collector: Is that why he hasn't been moving...? Is that why I can't herehim anymore...?

Edric nodded once.

It was, odd, trying to explain the concept of death to someone who had barely heard the words before.

Edric B.: Yeah. It's because he's gone, basically. His body is still here, but his actual "self" is gone. And, that doesn't come back. And it can't be replaced.

Recalling Hunter, he knew those last two details needed to be heard, as well.

The Collector didn't speak for a few minutes.