Chapter 2

< The Next Morning >

Amity B.: Um, Luz...?

Luz frowned, having gotten her things to be next to Amity. Pulling the blankets they were given to lay on together.

With that happened the previous day, that first night all alone with their injuries was the worst. They couldn't even sleep.

Now, they were laying beside one another. Chatting casually and trying to distract from some of the stubborn dread keeping them from fully relaxing.

Amity B.: Is it okay if we—don't tell the others when we visit them later?

Luz tilted her head. Amity having blurted it out with no indication that she was about to say anything like that.

Luz N.: Why?

Amity stared at the ground.

Amity B.: I just—I'm expecting this to make things awkward between us and everyone else. But for some reason, I really don't think I'm ready for it.

Luz smiled encouragingly and gave her girlfriend's hand a light squeeze.

Luz N.: That's okay, Ami. I mean, this whole thing came out of nowhere. Hell, we're still processing it ourselves. They don't have to know right away.

Amity frowned, curling up a bit more. Closed fist pressing against her lower chest protectively.

Amity B.: But don't the others have a right to know? I'm scared of what they'll say if we tell them now, after what happened yesterday. But I know it'll probably be even worse if we wait. It feels like I'll end up hating myself over whatever we do.

Luz swallowed, not hiding the fact that the feeling was mutual.

Luz N.: That's how I felt with the Collector thing... I felt like I was gonna die if I said anything immediately, but that I'd also be a bad person if I didn't. But, Ami, this is a more personal thing. So I'm not sure if we actually need to make it public information right away.

Amity B.: It's not just that, it feels like if everyone reacts a certain way... I—I've tried not to give into peer pressure so much, but with this? I just don't know. I don't want to get nervous and then back out of this because I know I'll regret it, but I just don't feel ready to face that, yet. I want to keep them, I really do, but I'm scared that the way they react could change my mind.

She closed her eyes tight, Luz moving closer as someone else entered the tent.

Amity B.: What if the same happens with my parents and siblings...? What if that makes it really bad to where they won't wanna talk to me...?

Luz hugged her tight, speaking softly to her as King stood to the side, hoping that he wouldn't be noticed. And additionally wishing that he waited until Eda caught up with him to go in.

Luz N.: They won't do that, Ami. They'll be surprised. My mom will be surprised, in fact I have no idea how that's gonna go... Everyone is just going to need time to process it. Just like you and I need time to prepare. That doesn't mean they'll judge you. Ed, Em, your dad... They all love you. This won't be enough to change that.