Chapter 23

Edric's whole body ached when he regained consciousness.

He cracked his eyes open as soon as he could, but that was more than likely fifteen minutes after he had become aware of his surroundings again.

It was completely silent, he couldn't hear anything or anyone for the life of him.

Evidently, there was still a lot of dust, but the coughing fit that followed breathing it in only made him aware of the fact that he was trapped.

His whole body was held down. Whether by one piece of debris, or several pieces, he couldn't tell.

What he could see was the blood leaking down the sides of the pile of broken stone.

He wasn't quite sure if it was numbness or shock that he was feeling.

He knew who was there, and likely the others who were also there that he couldn't see.

There was no sound, however.

Only silence and thin traces of a telling red.

Was he...?

Due to being surrounded by rocks, Edric couldn't see that the glass case in that back area had been broken open. Whatever was inside having taken the immediate opportunity to leave.

Was he really alone, right now...?

Something about that thought finally allowed the emotions to strike. Scalding hot tears growing shiny waves in his eyes as he was cruelly reminded of being completely stuck in place.

And, given the voices he heard elsewhere... He wasn't sure if it was safe to use his own voice to ask for help.

There was no doubt that guards had heard the commotion by now. Likely going to scout for any survivors that they could arrest, interrogate, and whatever else they planned to do.

Edric was resigned, at that point.

Whatever was going to happen to him next was unavoidable. And he had no other option other than to accept it.

He stayed alone for an unknown amount of time. Quietly weeping into the rock under his face as there was another, futile attempt to move his legs.

That only ended in him crying harder after releasing a groan of pain. Having been met with a sharp, intense burn that told him that his calf had been impaled by something.

And he had just made it worse.

His small sounds had attracted the attention of others.

But, the person who found him wasn't a guard.

Another prisoner, judging by the state he was in.

Edric didn't even need anything other than his appearance—despite all the dust—and voice to recognize him.

Edric B.: Jerbo?

Jerbo nodded.

He had been a classmate of Edric's since the latter had dropped illusions in favor of studying other types of magic.

While they didn't talk often, they would still say they were at least close acquaintances or friends.

Edric B.: What were you doing in jail...?

He was scared to ask.

He knew that Jerbo wouldn't get arrested for something genuinely bad—unless he was framed.

But he had clearly gotten involved enough in rebellious behavior to warrant him getting a certain mark.

One that said he was going to be punished with petrification.