Chapter 20

Emira was shaking so much that once through, she'd fallen off of Puddles, still in too much shock to respond to him urgently nudging her.

Instead, someone who had been waiting for them rushed up. Kneeling beside her and holding her up.

Alador B.: Emira! What happened? Are you hurt?

Emira only snapped out of it at the sound of her father's voice.

Something prevented her from replying.

Didn't she chose her mother over him?

Wasn't she mad enough not to speak to him?

Why was he so worried about her after all that?

Did she have any right to lean into her father's comfort?

Alador glanced up once at Viney, swallowing thickly at what had clearly happened.

He only held her closer. Any hurt that he remembered from previous years was forgotten about in favor of trying to help her through the clearly fresh grief.

He hardly noticed Aliosia after she came last. She herself shaking to the point where she had to place her weight on her knees.

Alador hardly remembered her. Aliosia had always been the most introverted out of everyone in Odalia's family. And usually preferred to stay in her room as opposed to going out and talking to others.

Other witches waited as well. Edric rushing up to hug Estel and help her to the hospital. Though the decision itself was tougher after he spotted the griffin and recognized his older sister.

Only one of the rebels seemed brave enough to approach the unfamiliar face, gently helping Aliosia stand and trying to snap her out of her daze. Her eyes lighting up with surprise as if she recognized him.

Luz was quick to alert Eda, and it didn't take long afterwards for her to arrive in her owl beast form with a smaller shape on her back.

Luz gently set Amity down. Amity immediately going to help the witchling off and hold her tight.

After lifting her mask to show that it was her, and to gently press a kiss to her nose.

Completely unaware of what had happened right after they went into the barrier.

Luz held Amity and Azura both for a few moments, long enough for Eda to switch back and show her relief at them coming back safely.

Edalyn C.: You had me worried back there, you two.

Amity couldn't reply with anything other than:

Amity N.: Well, that was the last trip for me. I'm just a librarian, now.

Azura only held onto her mother tighter. Earning a warm smile and whisper towards her.

Amity N.: Did you stay up all this time waiting for us, sweetie?

Azura nodded, too young to even attempt to hide how tired she was. Rubbing her eyes with a: "M-hm".

Amity was quick to press another kiss to her forehead.

Amity N.: Let's head home then and go to bed, okay?

Azura could only nod. Luz giving a quick "thank you" hug to Eda before following them back.

Luz N.: Ami, what about—?

Amity shook her head.

Luz couldn't argue with how tightly but tiredly Azura was clinging to Amity.

They would go to the healing center the following day.

Azura had murmured her question when they got home, and Amity needed a solid minute to decode it.