19 | two funerals

Start from the beginning

"I know, Dad." John B replies as he makes eye contact with his girlfriend. "I don't plan to."

"Delilah? JJ?" Big John calls.

"Yeah? We're right here." Delilah whispers.

"I'm so glad that you two are happy with each other. You both deserve it." Big John states.

"Thank you." JJ replies with a genuine smile.

"That means a lot." Delilah adds, gently. "Especially coming from you."

Big John weakly smiles as he stares at the teenagers, whom he has known since they were little kids. After everything that's happened in their lives, the man is happy that Delilah and JJ are able to find peace with each other — even if they continuously dive headfirst into chaos. Delilah and JJ smile back at Big John, the man who has done more for them than their own parents have ever done for them.

"Bird..." Big John begins as he then turns to look at his son once again. "I know that I wasn't any great shakes as a father—"

"No, don't. Stop." John B swiftly interrupts, shaking his head. "Please, Dad."

"But you... you were the best son that any man could hope for." Big John continues. "I want you to know that, Bird."

"You can tell me when we get home, okay?" John B whispers.

Without removing his hand from his fathers, John B reaches into his backpack and grabs a small piece of the gold. He gently sets it on top of his father's chest with a smile on his face. Big John's eyes travel down to the weight on his chest and stays there for a brief moment. But despite it being an achievement he has been working so hard for, he says nothing. Then, Big John's gaze drifts back over to his beloved son, who has remained by his side the entire time.

"Look, Dad. We did it." John B quietly states. "Dad, you did it."

"I'll see you at home, kid." Big John faintly whispers.

John B stares into his fathers eyes for the last time, continuing to cling onto his hand as if it's the only thing keeping him in this world. But it isn't, and the teenage boy is forced to watch as the light in his eyes slowly disappear before eventually fluttering closed. Then, Big John weakly sucks in his last breath before his chest stops rising up and down, the grip on his son's hand finally loosening.

"Dad?" John B quietly calls.

A deafening silence rings in their ears.

"Dad? Dad, please." John B begs. "Please don't leave me. We did it, Dad. Please."

Quiet sobs fill the air as salty tears begin to roll down John B's cheeks. He rests his forehead on his father's chest, ignoring how his tears are now falling onto the fabric of his shirt. The boys hand is still clutching Big John's as faint pleas slip past his trembling lips; he refuses to let go because it means accepting that his dad is actually gone this time, and he doesn't want to believe that just yet.

Delilah silently watches her best friend, the boy that she views as her brother, and feels her heart ache in pain as she helplessly listens to his sobs. Tears slide down her cheeks, unable to fight back the stinging sensation prickling in her eyes. Delilah believes that John B deserved to have more time with his father after only just getting him back, but she also knows that the world can work in cruel ways.