8.

It had been a few days on the road now, and hopefully within the next few days Uhtred's party would finally make it to Bedwyn. The Lady Aelswith was constantly stopping on the road for prayer, slowing them down very much. On the first two days, Saehild cried, but she had Eadith there to try and help comfort her. The lady tried to push on to the little one, that going to Bedywn would be good. This was her chance to be something more then just a daughter of some lord. She would get to learn much more then what any normal lady might, and when she returned to Aegelesburg she would have so much to share. Not only was there the education, but Saehild would get to grow up with Aethelstan. He was a quiet boy, but she was becoming very fond of him ever since he was brought to Saltwic. The boy was always willing to play wooden swords with Saehild while Aelfwynn hated it. For now, the situation was still foreign, but once they actually arrived, Eadith was sure that Saehild would be content with her new life.

********

As the sun began to fall, Uhtred and his men set up camp while Lady Aelswith simply observed. When they stopped, Saehild helped Osferth rest the horses, as she seemed to join their company. It wasn't long before he shooed off the girl to go and sit in the middle of camp, where everyone could watch the children. One thing no one told about travelling the road, was how boring it was. She tried to help Sihtric and Finan set up the tent but she was too short, and was jumping to try and grab the fabric, to which the men laughed at. Defeated, she sat next to Aethelstan, they both watched as Father Prilyg started a fire with the flint, complaining about how if he started it then he would not do the cooking. Pulling her knees to her chest, the small girl watched as the fire dance, that was all she could do really.

Hearing foot steps, Saehild lifted her head to see Stiorra and Lady Eadith returning with more fire wood. "That will not be enough." Aelswith commented watching them drop the wood, "I feel the cold. Please go and cut some more."

"Of course, Lady." Eadith gave a fake smile.

The Lady stood in her place for a moment, trying her best to remind composed. After taking a breath, she turned her attention to the children that sat in the dirt, "Come you two," she held out her hand. Both the little ones stood up and took each of the lady's hands walking with her. As they moved from the trees they saw some riders passing by. "Have those riders been following us?" Aelswith asked Uhtred.

Uhtred looked to the path and riders scanning for threats, "No. We are just on a trading route."

Aelswith held the children closer looking behind her hearing more rustling then before. She wasn't the only one to notice it, all of Uhtred men heard the new noise too, turning their attention to the forest. "What about them?" Aelswith pointed out the new riders.

"Lord." Finan called out now standing with his sword up.

Saehild looked back to Finan, then back to Uhtred, wondering what was happening. It had been a peaceful journey so far, with not signs of danger. Hearing the horses neigh, Saehild looked to see the riders Aelswith had pointed out, now turned to face them. Not only that, but they were now surrounded by many men and horses. Aelswith grabbed onto Aethelstan and Saehild shoulders pulling them close, backing up into a tringle position with Uhtred and Stiorra. Scared, Saehild reached out to hold onto Stiorra's hand as a Dane approached, inching closer and closer.

"Uhtred, what a surprise!" Haesten greeted in a sarcastic tone, "I hear you were heading south but I didn't believe it."

"As ever, the gods are with you." Uhtred responded.

"We were in wait for the king. But now you will have to do." Haesten scoffed.

"What do you want from us, Haesten?" the lord asked plainly.