11.

Edit: I don't know what happened when I first uploaded but not everything was uploaded. So let's give it another shot.

-----

Was this consider progress? Edward had finally seen both of his boys, but he was having their lives hung above his head, as some type of sick joke. Choose one, and the other one was sure to die. How could he choose? Aldhelm's heart was breaking, for the king. He did not know what he would do if he lost his child in this ordeal. To live with such guilt in one's heart, it seemed unbearable--it was unbearable. He was lucky enough that he got Saehild back unscratched, twice. Something he would always be forever grateful for. But now, the king was faced with losing both of his children, something he could have never imagined happening to him in his life time.

Breathing heavily, from his break down, Edward grew more anxious pacing around his tent, "Someone speak. What do I do?"

Aldhelm and Father Pyrlig looked to each other before anyone could say, "Request the aetheling." Pyrlig broke the silence.

"If I choose one child, what happens to the other..?" his voice broke.

"It is a hard decision, yes." Pyrlig looked to the ground, "But I think it is part of a longer strategy to see if you will negotiate."

Edward shot up, "I...I have looked that man in the eye and he is not one to give ground." breathing heavily at the thought Edward looked to Aldhelm, "What do you think?"

Aldhelm hesitated before speaking, "That if we show weakness now...he will make a show of cruelty." the King exhaled sharply at his words. But Aldhelm was right, if Sigtryggr gave back Saehild, he would want something in return. And if not, well, let us not speak it, "I think say nothing."

"Can we pay him?" the priest asked.

Aldhelm exhaled, "He doesn't want silver. If he did, he would have taken it--"

"He wants to destroy us and destroy our spirit." Edward sat rocking in the chair, "I cannot do this. I can...I cannot...I cannot. I cannot do this." he began to sob.

Aldhelm watched the King cry hopelessly. He was faced with the worst decision any father could have ever asked for. The stake of his legacy, his family, was all laying on which child he chose to keep.

**********

Exhausted, Saehild sat with the trio, not wanting to leave their side. She sat in Osferth's lap, laying her head to his chest, with his arms wrapped around her. She had not spoken much, but her breathing was starting to go back to normal, only having small fits of hyperventilating. So much was running through her mind, but she couldn't put her thought straight, they were all mixed together. Sigtryggr was kind, but she also saw what he did to the Saxons, her people. He shot arrows at them, like they were a cushion for needles. At the same time, she would never forget what the Danes did to Saxon Mercia.  And the actions of her father, whisking her away like that, hurt her. Saehild always thought of him as, the fiercest warrior that Mercia had to offer, but he was still her father. The man that cared for her, and put her needs before his, pushed her away, like he had never seen her before.

Saehild was to young to understand the weight of the battle they were in, she might not ever know. By all hopes of Aldhelm, he hoped she would never know. The quicker Winchester was taken back, the sooner she would be able to be at peace.

***********

Sitting close to the tent, the three overheard everything that was said. Uhtred proposed to give himself away in trade for the boys. The Danes would surly want the Dane-Slayer under their control. Directly after the king approved, Uhtred and Aldhelm existed the tent towards the gates of Winchester. Quickly, Osferth sat Saehild down in his place, while the trio tried to convince Uhtred to think of something else. With quick feet, the group ran up behind the two lords, who where already in conversation.