16.

The palace was cold and empty, even though it was filled with bodies. Candles where switched out to newer ones to burn for longer. Those who could change, did so into darker clothing to start their state of mourning.  The once packed hall was now a quite one, only filled by those closest to Aethelflaed. A fire was lite to help warm them, but nothing could warm the hole and ache that was created in all their hearts. Once Saehild left Aelfwynn, she too joined the others in the hall, waiting for the Witan. It would be another hour or so, before the sun rose and the bells would be rung. She tried to enter quietly, but with no speaking to fill the void, the echo of her boots could be hear as she entered.

"Lady Saehild." Lord Aethelhelm greeted with his arms crossed from across the room, "It is a rare sight to see a lady wearing a weapons belt with her gown."

"Hmm, it would do you some good to leave the palace more often, Lord Aethelhelm. Many women wear their weapons close these days, to do what many cannot." Saehild lifted her chest and spoke clearly. Never did she like Aethelhelm, she always knew his intentions were no good.

Everyone looked at Saehild as she snarked back at the lord, Aldhelm shock a look to her saying one thing, behave. Shooting her eyes to the ground she lend on a pillar, rather then standing by the fire. She was cold, but did not feel the need for warmth, her body was to numb to actually feel it. With his head down, Lord Aldhelm stood in front of the Mercian throne cover by a draping. He attempted to prepare himself for the foreseen events, but his heart was not ready. Aldhelm loved the lady, it was not a secret. Even when Aethelflaed was considered an outlaw, he stood by her. It might have been his duty, but it was his heart that he followed.

The King approached him, placing a hand to his shoulder, to which Aldhelm had no choice but to welcome, "You severed her well."

"I tried. All she wanted was to keep the people safe."

"She could think of no way to make it more simple to rule?" the King whispered.

"She tried.", Aldhelm croaked, "But the Ealdormen, even as they came to respect her, were stubborn. The old ways appealed to them more than the new."

Edward still stood a little way from Aldhelm looking to him, as he did not take his eyes off the throne, "I think you could yet be of great use to Mercia, Lord Aldhelm."

Out from the corner, where Saehild had come from, came Aelfwynn. Not missing a beat, Aldhelm approached her holding out his hands for hers, "You do not have to be here this early. We've not yet begun."

"Yes, I do." Aelfwynn looked passed his shoulder nodding to her sister, both now understanding how much reasonability she welded now. She then turned to face the throne, her throne.

"Stay yourself." Aethelhelm warned, "The throne is taken after the Witan meets, not before."

"I did not expect to see you here." Uhtred impolitely greeted.

"I am here to show respect." his togue told.

"Oh I doubt that. A man has no respect cannot show it, surely." Uhtred turned his head nodding to the king, ignoring the tiny man, "Lord King."

"This is taking too long.", Aethelhelm complained, "We must announce her death."

The three Mercians, titled their heads to the lord. Clearly, he didn't respect their customs, he never had. The father-in-law, always saw Mercia as less. He underestimated them. Oh how he was wrong. It was like Uhtred said, a man with no respect has none to show for, and clearly he was lacking. Glady, Saehild was ready to send him back to his chamber, or even better, back to Winchester, someone just had to make the order.

"I would think it were the King's decision as to when the bells should be rung, my Lord." an unfamiliar women spoke. Saehild, had seen her earlier when the household arrived, but she assumed it was the Queen's lady-in-waiting. Yet the Queen was nowhere to be seen. Never had Saehild seen her in Winchester, nor any of the courts.