24.

As the clouds covered the sun, the three young ones, rode back to camp bearing the news they all knew would make heads turn. The plan was ruined, the army was counting on Constantin not being at the fortress yet. It was predicted that it would have taken days to gather his army, but they were wrong. Somehow, and for some reason, Constantin was there. Arriving back to the camp, Sihtric was there already waiting, while Cynlaef was mere minutes behind, with Aethelstan and Saehild arrived last. The King and his advisors were already in his tent, talking about how to execute the battle. When they joined the rest, all were eager to know what information they held. Once they approached, Aldhelm could already tell from his daughter's face, that the news they brought, was not welcomed. Luckily Aethelstan took on the burden to tell what would make steam come out of ears. Although the King was now informed, Lord Uhtred was no where to be found. If Edward was this ticked off, they could only image how thrown off he would be.

Saehild stood next to Aethelstan, to the side, leaning on the edge of a desk. She crossed her arms over her chest, flustered at what to do now. Across from the pair, Father Prilgy sat hit with the same disappointment. In front of him, Cynlaef stood, his hands wrapped around his belt more angered then frustrated. Most importantly, the King paced with outrage. With urgency, Uhtred, Sihtric, and Finan entered, while the king had his back towards them.

"The spies say he came by sea." Edward spoke, the wind blowing through his hair.

Aldhelm slammed his fist down on one of the desk, "I am at fault. I counseled this."

"Father." Saehild tilted her head sympathizing.

"You're not." Uhtred corrected, "Much of this is judgment and we misjudged it."

Slowly Edward turned back around to face Uhtred, "How many men were in this boat?"

"We think only a household guard." Sihtric said with his head down.

"As Uhtred Predicted." Aldhelm rolled his eyes.

"Do not assume it is a sign. We simply make another plan." the Dane tried to be optimistic.

"It is a sign we should attack." Edward walked closer to Uhtred, "Before his army arrives--"

Uhtred twitch his head at the idea, "No."

"Our targets are all in one place." the King argued, "Storm the fortress now and we trap Aethelhelm and Constantin."

"Aelfwynn is within." Aldhelm moved closer to Edward, reminding him there was much more at stake "She will be forced to this marriage and they will threaten her."

At the mention of her sister, Saehild held a breath. This battle wasn't just about Aethelhelm and Constantin, this was about saving Aethelflaed's only child. Capture the bastards for what the have done, but the king needed to remember that the future legacy of the House of Wessex, and his sister, was being threatened.

"Yes, they'll try to use her in a bargain but--"

"But we trust Aethelhelm to act with reason when he's in a corner?" Aldhelm retaliated. He was talked to Edward like he used to when Saehild got in trouble. She could feel the frustration radiating from him, but she agreed with every word. Edward narrowed his eyes to Aldhelm making him shift, "If we'd got to Constantin then it would be a negotiation, but now we give him nothing to lose."

"We have hundreds of men." Edward said in a dark tone, "Bebbanburg is well defended, yes, but we will surly outman them."

"His own daughter died amidst the fury of his scheming." Aldhelm told the dark truth, "We cannot risk Aethelflaed's child in the chaos that will engulf Bebbanburg."