Many years later...

Years had past, and Christians and Danes reigned in pace. There was no conflict, Brida had disappeared after Winchester, and Sigtryggr ruled as king in Eoferwic, honoring the alliance with Mercia and Wessex. Each kingdom thrives on its own; Mercia had a great queen ruling over, Eoferwic was a place where Danes could thrive, and Wessex, was well, Wessex. The people finally had a sense of harmony, while those who sat the throne, were happy to see their subjects happy and safe.

All of the little ones had grown into fine young nobles of the lands. Aethelstan stayed by Lord Uhtred's side, where he brought him and his men to the Mercian city of Rumcofa, on the border of Northumbria. In Rumcofa, Uhtred watched the ship trade and enforced the toll for traders to enter Mercia. Finan, found a Danish women to soon call wife, called Ingrith. Sihtric lived happily with his wife, Sig, and their many children. And Osferth, he did whatever monks turned warriors do. There in the city, Aethelstan trained with the men, perfecting his skill in combat. He also found a friend in a boy his age named Cynlaef. Like many others who inhabit the city, Cynlaef was Dane. Many Danes lived in pace in Rumcofa, they had a Pagan lord, and land and animals to help their families survive. Most importantly, Aethelstan was kept safe and hidden, and had a fair life being raised by Lord Uhtred.

In the heart of Mercia, Aelfwynn and Saehild grew into a fine princess and a warrior lady. The girls continue their friendship, calling each other sister. They were each other's closest friend, Aelfwynn was one of the only people that looked at Saehild for who she was, and not the half-Dane or Aldhelm's Bastard. The ladies were raised side by side, but had their own paths. The princess found boys and gossiping with the other young ladies more interesting, while Saehild trained to become a warrior and focused on her studies. Even though people still had hatred for the Danes, Saehild didn't care. She had Danish blood, and was proud of it. Her, and many others, where proof that hopefully one day, the two peoples could live in harmony. At the same time, she trained day and night to become as great of a fighter as her forebears. She hoped to one day, stand at the Lady's and her father's side in battle, god forbid there be another battle. In a way, the two girls, Lady Aethelflaed, and Lord Aldhelm, were there own small family. Together, the four of them spent most of their days closely. 

After everything that happened at Tettenhall and Winchester, Aldhelm took Saehild under his wing, and raised her as his own. She was eventually legitimized by a royal decree, officially becoming Lady Saehild, daughter of Aldhelm. The lord no longer held her as a secret, but was so utterly proud to call her his daughter. Everyday, she proved her role in noble society. Their relationship flowered into something beautiful, Aldhelm was as open as he could be with Saehild. He taught her everything she needed to know to survive Saxon politics, and told her stories of who her mother was. Saehild may have never met her, but Astrid's memory would live on through them both. The little Mercian, was very glad to be know as the daughter of Aldhelm, he was an honorable man who did whatever needed for his country. Being able to stand beside him, was a great privilege to her. She knew that one day, she would stand in his place and become an advisor to Aelfwynn, just like he was doing for Aethelflaed.

In terms of Aethelflaed and Aelfwynn, things were slightly skewed. Aelfwynn was young and wild, something that her mother couldn't control. To her own dismay, the princess was to be the next rule of Mercia wither she liked it or not. There would be duties she would need to learn how to fulfil sooner rather then later. Aldhelm was trying his best to tame Aelfwynn, but rising two young noble ladies, was not an easy task. Sometimes, the Queen whished that her daughter could pick up a thing or two from her surrogate sister. Life as the leader of Mercia, had its downs, but that did not mean that the four didn't live happy and prosperously.

Overall, there was safety and peace, that is what mattered. The children were able to grow up, not exposed to the fall out of war. All three were able to learn and grow in the respective lands, with the stories of what came before, driving them to be better then ever thought. They are the next generations of the great lands, and they would be the ones to ensure the peace lasted.