19.

The combined army of Wessex and Mercia had been on the road for quite some time, riding in one direction, but none knew the destination. They'd rode through the night guided by scouts coming back and forth. Almost as if some of the soldiers prayers were being answered, the scouts finally found a good vantage point to attack Aethelhelm's camp. They also told of how he had raised a great number of men to fight for him. This made the King even more furious then he already was. In his frustration, King Edward led with Lord Aldhelm ready to take the bastard back to the arms of the law. Lord Aldhelm and Lady Saehild agreed with this plan, but once they started to march froward, the feeling of being poisoned by the air came. It struck fear into her. Maybe she was being too cautious, but it worried her of what could happen now. So much was at stake, not only for Wessex and the Saxons, but for all Danes too.

*******************

As predicted they arrived to the camp as the sun rose, but when they arrived it was a sight that they did not expected to see. Danes; Sigtryggr and his men, were fighting, killing, Saxon men. Edward halted his men hearing yelling and screaming in the distance. At the sight, Saehild inhaled sharply slightly, sitting up on her saddle.

She should have known. Only death will follow.

"I rode for peace." Edward said with annoyance in his voice, "And Sigtryggr has repaid us with more bloodshed."

"Lord, what would you have us do?" Aldhelm asked in a calmly.

Saehild look to Edward with a worry face, fearing what he night command, "We must trust, Uhtred. There is still time for him to stop this." Edward reasoned.

All looked upon the battle waiting a top the hill. "Come on Uhtred." Saehild whispered to herself. There was meant to be no war between Saxon and Dane, the peace held for many years. In all hopes, the two peoples were to find a new bond because of the works of Aethelhelm. It seemed that Sigtryggr's better judgment took over him however.

"Many more lives will be lost if we do not act now." Aldhelm urged, "Those men, your men, they are Christian souls, the future of England. That is what Aethelhelm wishes to destroy."

Edward looked upon the battle, his body growing ever more tense, "Yes." he simply said, "Aethelhelm cannot be allowed to succeed. They must be saved." he pulled his sword from its sheath, causing the men to do the same.

Saehild's heart started pounding, hesitating to grab her sword. She wished to not fight Sigtryggr and his men, especially after the harmony he showed to the Saxons. All the men lifted their swords in the air crying battle yells, charging straight to the thick of the battle. Saehild did not scream her head off, but instead focused her eyes and rode as fast as she could. As much as she was a Dane, she was Mercian, and they were being slaughtered by the seconds.

Charging into the camp, Saehild sliced a Dane's chest, that was trying to cut down her horse down. Quickly she turned the corner, with the other men heading towards the middle. In front of them, Sigtryggr had created a small wall of men and shields, but they were no match for horses. Easily, the Saxons broke through, scattering the Danes. However the ones still on their feet, were coming for Saehild. Perhaps they thought since she was a girl, she would be easier to take, but they were wrong. Dogging their blades and jumping off her horse, Saehild managed to sneak them, and pierce their skin with her own blade. Just as her father had taught her, Saehild remained weary of all her surroundings. She might have been a noble lady, but she could fight just as dirty as the rest of them

Regardless of how swift she was, this was still war. Unexpectedly, a Dane charged at her, shield in hand, knocking her directly in the mouth, causing her to lose balance. With the advantage, the Dane hovered over the lady ready to smash her skull in. But with quick thinking, Saehild pulled out Moon-Heart and plugged it into his gut, kicking him to the side. Now with a bleeding mouth and a cut to forehead, Saehild grabbed her sword in the other hand, fighting through the men to find King Sigtryggr. Maybe if they could find him first, he would reason and call off his men. Finally when she got close enough, Uhtred was already there calling for everyone to put down their swords. But it seemed Edward had caught up too.