15. Girls' Day

I woke up the next morning and just lounged. It felt good to be in my own bed. After a few moments, I got up to get ready to meet Ines. I did a little bit of light makeup, mainly to make sure that there was no chance that the faded bruise would be noticed in any pictures. I then slipped into a red floral sundress because the weather was very warm and some strappy sandals. I put my hair up with a clip, letting a couple pieces hang loose to frame my face.

I stuck my head out the door. "Mateo! Oh I didn't realize you were right there."

My security guard was waiting outside the door. I had texted him last night before bed to let him know I was going out today.

"You ready?" I bounded down the stairs.

He caught up with me at the entryway. "Hold up, your highness, we're bringing Alvaro as well."

I figured after Italy my father would increase my security detail. I was just happy that he wasn't trying to keep me from leaving the palace. A few minutes later, Alvaro joined us and we walked out to where Peter was waiting with the car. Once Ines' address was in the system, we were off.

Alvaro sat in the passenger seat while Mateo sat in the back with me. I chatted with him for a bit, he had been one of my bodyguards since I was a teenager. He was older than me but not by too much so it almost felt that we had grown up together. He had been trained by my previous bodyguard so when he became old enough he could take over my protection. I viewed him as a close friend. I know my running off was very difficult for him. He had been waiting at the airstrip when I had landed back in Monaco. The first thing I had done was apologize to him. He also understood when I told him I needed to see Charles alone that night.

Alvaro, on the other hand, was usually a part of my father's detail. He seemed nice enough but I didn't know him, he was about the same age as Mateo.

We picked up Ines from her house and I waved hello to James. Ines had told me prior to the gala that he had figured out I was the princess so I had explained why I went to the race that way to him. He ended up just being happy he could help and treated me just like another of his daughter's friends.

"I'm so happy to see you!" Ines squealed, hugging me as soon as she was in the car.

"It's good to see you too!" I hugged her back.

We quickly agreed on a spot for breakfast before Peter drove us over to it. Leaving the car, Ines and I made our way to the café followed by Mateo and Alvaro. They sat at a table near us, leaving us to our private conversation.

"So you and Lando, tell me everything!" I sipped my coffee.

She ducked her head, blushing. "Well we've been talking ever since the yacht party. He invited me to the Barcelona race as his guest which is how I found out you were gone. Because I was there when Charles came in panicking. How are things between you two?"

"Wait, no, we're talking about you and Lando right now. No changing the subject. So he invited you to a race, that's good!" I held out my coffee cup for her to cheers.

She cheersed my cup with hers. "We went out a couple times, nothing too major but dinner and drinks and another day we went for a walk through Barcelona. And we've been facetiming too. And we kissed."

I cheered. "You two would be adorable together, no one can tell me otherwise."

"Shhh! Not so loud," Ines laughed.

"Can't help it, I'm happy for you."

"Ok now that you've been updated, how are you and Charles?" she asked.

I shrugged. "We're good. We were talking daily but then I left and we didn't talk for a bit as you know. But I talked to him the other day and we cleared everything up and we're good now."