19. Group Hug

The days until I could leave for the race dragged by. Alex liked to remind me that it was only a few days. Charles left Sunday night. I was leaving Wednesday night. But it didn't matter, I was ready to be at the track, surrounded by the noises, the excitement, and most importantly, my friends. When the time came to head to the airport, I had already had my suitcase and backpack in the foyer for hours. Much to my father's dismay who tripped over it. The flight was long but Mateo and I passed the time playing games and napping. A car was waiting for us at the airstrip to drive us to the hotel. I had set it up that I would be staying at the same place as the drivers. I arrived after midnight, picked up mine and Mateo's room keys and then made our way up to our rooms. I sent Charles a quick text with my room number before passing out on the bed.

I woke up the next morning to someone knocking on the door. I wrapped the duvet around my shoulders as I got up. Checking the peep hole revealed Charles standing in the hall. I opened the door enough for him to walk in.

"Good morning!" He kissed my forehead.

"What time is it?" I mumbled, still let lagged.

"Time to go to the track. We can have breakfast there. You just have to get ready."

"With such short notice?"

Charles picked up my phone, holding the screen up to me so I could see the missed text and call notifications. "I tried to give you a heads up."

I rummaged through my bag until I found a pair of linen slacks and a simple black tank top. I paired it with a pair of sandals and a plain tote. Admiring the finished product, I twisted my hair up with a clip.

"You look beautiful." Charles hugged me from behind.

"You look pretty good yourself," I said, admiring how his Ferrari shirt fit.

He turned me to face him. "I have a question."

"I probably have an answer." I looped my arms around his neck.

"Princess Kathrine Montagne, will you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?"

"Mr. Charles Leclerc, I will indeed do you that honor."

He kissed me, smiling against my lips.

"So formal yet informal, an interesting route you took Mr. Leclerc," I laughed once we pulled apart.

He ran his fingers through his hair. "I was planning to do something special this weekend, but when I saw you this morning I couldn't wait. I'm sorry, I should have prepared something better."

I took his hand in mine. "Don't apologize at all. The person matters, not how elaborate they ask. But I want to make sure you aren't just asking because of what Nicky said the other day."

Charles shook his head. "I've wanted to ask you for a while but it never seemed like the right time. Hell, I wanted to ask you at the yacht party but we had just met that same day so I didn't know what you would think. Then I was going to ask in Barcelona. Then I was going to ask you the night you showed up at my apartment, but I didn't think it was right to do that when your head was all over the place. And then I was going to ask you after dinner with your family but after everything I didn't want you to think I was pressuring you at all. So I waited."

"How are you so thoughtful?" I asked incredulously. "You really thought it all out."

"As soon as I met you, I knew that no one else compared, that made all the waiting easy."

I kissed him again lightly.

He checked his watch. "We should head down stairs, the car will be here soon."

Race for the Throne | Formula Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें