71. I Never Loved You

Nod. Accept their condolences. Thank them for coming. Repeat.

I was making it through all the attendees after the funeral. I craved the security of Charles by my side but I had arranged for him to sit with the other drivers away from where I was. I spared a glance towards the door, Charles was waiting with Carlos for me. Even after I was awful to him, he was still there.

"A lovely funeral." a voice pulled me back to the people in front of me.

I grimaced as I greeted the king of Belgium. "Thank you for coming."

"I wouldn't have missed it." He nodded.

Jacques stood behind him but after his father left, walked closer. "You're doing wonderfully."

"I wonder if he knows you plan on double crossing him. Him getting you involved in the group only for you to literally stab him in the back soon." I spoke without betraying any emotions,I needed to know if my theory was correct.

Jacques shrugged. "Him not expecting it just shows that he isn't worthy to lead."

I was right, I was going to keep pushing. "I had the funeral, I'm doing what you said. Who's the next target?"

Jacques leaned forward, breath hitting my ear. "Unfortunately for you, you have more than one French friend." He pulled back enough to take my hand and press a kiss to the back of it. "I can't wait for the coronation. It's sure to be a grand affair."
I could feel Charles' eyes on me during the whole exchange.

Mateo came up behind my arm. "Your highness."

I turned my head slightly. "You're back."

"We need to talk." His face was controlled but there was an urgency in his voice.

I looked down the line of people I still had to greet. "Get Charles and the others out of here. I'll leave as soon as I'm done. I don't care what the people think of me right now, but this is for my family."

Mateo gave a brisk nod before walking towards Charles and the others. I kept my focus on people in front of me, I didn't want to see Mateo escorting them out to the cars.

About an hour later, I was done and Mateo came back for me. Guards flanked me as I got back to the car and again when we got back to the palace.

Charles was waiting for me in the entryway. "Kat, can we-"

I held up a hand, stopping him. "Not now." I walked past him brusquely. "Mateo, with me."

He fell into step with me and we locked ourselves in the study.

I dropped into a chair and pulled my heels off. "I think the next target is Nick. I asked Jacques who it was and he told me it was unfortunate that I had more than one French friend. In the garden, he threatened Pierre first. But I did what he said. Who else would be already on the list of people they would want to take out and also someone I'm friends with? The president of France."

"Do you have any idea when it might happen?" Mateo asked.

I shook my head. "He did mention that he couldn't wait for the coronation though. What did you find out?"

Mateo sat in the chair across from me. "I found proof that Jacques is involved in the plot to kill his father."

"Jacques told me that himself at the funeral." I glanced towards the bar cart.

I would have loved a drink but Charles had had all the liquor removed from the other rooms and Mateo had personally taken all the bottles out of the study since I kept everyone else out.

Race for the Throne | Formula Oneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें