𝐂𝐇. 43

𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓
༻☠︎︎༺

     I wasn't expecting anything special this morning other than the fact that three new members were joining us, each one for every team. One for Los Vaqueros, one for Task Force 141, and the remaining one joining us in the presence of Chimera—a private military company. Price had already told me the news this morning. What he forgot to mention was that one of them would be her.

Nadia fucking Ibrahim.

I had just gotten out of bed after a sleepless night, leaving the warmth of Val's body pressed up on mine behind, which was the very reason why it was so hard to leave in the first place. She was naked underneath the blanket, and it reminded me that her clothes were dirty with holes and basically destroyed. I would have washed mine from yesterday and given her those, had I not remembered the bag of clothes in the SUV that I kept in there for the "just in case" situations.

So I got up, carefully not to wake her up, watched her a little like a fucking creep because I couldn't help it—she was too beautiful not to look at; appreciate her softness when she was sound asleep. I wanted to stare at her all day without getting caught, but if I said I cared if I got caught while doing so, I would be lying.

I went in search for the bag. Everything was correct, according to my plan. I was going to get her my clothes, get her some breakfast, and do a double check of her injuries before continuing with our day.

But this. This was a fucking annoying bump in my way. When Price said someone from Chimera was joining us, I never thought it would be Nadia Ibrahim. But then, I always forgot about her existence—it happened with things that didn't have any important meaning in my life so it was better to just push them aside and out of my mind. I had other important things to care about.

Sure, Nadia and I spent a night together, doing only God knows what. Things, as I said, I didn't even recall anymore and I hoped I would never have to again. It was one night, one slip-up that got me ending up in a bed, naked, with this woman by my side. That was all it was, one thing. I had told her since the beginning that I wasn't looking for a partner, much less someone I had worked with.

But she didn't get the memo. I'd tried having her at an arm's length whenever we were in the same room, but she kept insisting and it was getting on my damn nerves. If I knew letting my walls down for just a single night of pleasure would cause in this, I wouldn't have let my desire win. Did she not understand when a man wasn't interested? Was it not enough when I told her face-to-face that I did not want to have anything to do with her other than perhaps working in the same team?

That problem had the girls that always got what they wanted. They got off with things that were hard to get. Good thing, I wasn't interested in being one of those toys she got off with trying to get.

As soon as she spotted me this morning, she ran and threw her arms around me like we were good acquaintances, expecting me to hug her back. I wasn't going to. Oh no, if I dared to do that, she'd think I was going crazy for her, which I was fucking not.

The only woman I was crazy for was Valentina, and she chose that exact moment to enter the party. I was too confused and annoyed that Soap shouting her name across was the only thing that took me out of my thoughts. Funny, how lucky I was. I should've trusted my needs this morning, should've craved in, and stayed in bed with her until she was woken up still in my arms.

Valentina was still staring at me, and when her eyes traveled down I realized Nadia was still hugging me, still expecting the best of me but I wasn't a good man. I placed a hand on her shoulder and gently pushed her away from me. "Nadia."