3 | ❝August❞ - Huening Kai

╔══════════════════╗
HUENING KAI
✎ iii. august
╚══════════════════╝

a/n. based on august by taylor swift, so i highly recommend you listen to that while reading!

 based on august by taylor swift, so i highly recommend you listen to that while reading!

"I love you." The words sounded sweeter than honey coming from his lips. This must be the best moment of your life, you decided.

"Are you sure?" The whispered words escaped your lips, your forehead still gently touching his.

"I've never been so sure of anything else in my life."

"I love you too." Pulled into another kiss, you wished to stay there in his arms forever. 17 really was the best summer of your life.

//

Moving to an oceanside town wasn't the most exciting thing in the world, and you often longed for the excitement of the city. But you would never give up the opportunity to let your focus drift back to old memories as you surveyed the ocean. Letting your thoughts distract you for just a few minutes. You savoured the nostalgia of that summer, and the act of reminiscing occupied every moment of your spare time.

You still thought back on that August. 4 years had already passed but it was still the happiest time of your life. All because of him. You wondered if he still remembered you... your facial features, your eyes, your hair, your lips. Surely, he must?

Did he remember you as fondly as you did him? Did he think about you randomly throughout the day, smiling at the old memories you two had created together? Did he long for you like you did for him when he was alone at night, or bored throughout the day with friends busy with their own lives? Did he think back on that August and wish he could relive it all? You certainly did.

You had tried to forget about the goodbye, as it was your least favourite part of that summer. Of course, it wasn't in your control. You were only 17, and your family was moving away. Who were you to choose to stay just for Kai?

The tears of that time were long forgotten by you, though. You had resolved to only think of the happy memories with him. It was useless to linger on the sadness you felt. And who knows? Maybe you would see him again someday.

You never felt like anything was lacking when you were with him. You had no worries. It was just you and him, together. He was more than enough, and you wanted to spend just one more minute in his company.

Sneaking out to see each other, stargazing, talking about anything and everything, going on long drives with no destination, cancelling plans just in case he was free, wanting to spend every second together, getting lost in kisses or staring at each other. It all felt like a distant time, and just yesterday at the same time.

After 4 years, you were still hopeful. You knew your relationship with Kai wasn't all for nothing. Yes, it was young love, but would things be that different if you stumbled upon him again? Only time would tell...

//

Kai drove along the narrow oceanside road, excitement and nervousness filling his body. Would you even want to see him again?

He had planned to give you some notice, a text or phone call or email, but you must have gotten a new phone since the last time he contacted you. At least he tried.

He smiled at the view of the ocean. It was beautiful. He would have liked to live somewhere like this if he ever got to marry you.

He pulled over the car, tapping in your address into the GPS, but he stopped. He was sure it was you. Or his eyes were betraying him.

It looked like you. The most stunning girl he had ever seen standing on the beach, wind blowing in your hair.

Your straight jeans were slightly ripped and came down to just above your ankles, and you wore a striped t-shirt.

Kai suddenly became nervous to get out of the car. You were right there. Just a couple metres away. What would you say when you saw him again? Would you be happy? Would you be upset? Or angry? He didn't want to see you cry, even if it happened to be happy tears.

He sighed, resting his head on the steering wheel. Just get out of the car and walk up to her, it's that easy. But it seemed like an impossible task for the lovesick boy. Even catching a glimpse of you made his heart beat faster - he would be a mess trying to have a conversation with you.

He steadied his breath, mustered his courage, and stepped out of the car. But immediately regretted the decision when you turned your head at the sound of the car door shutting.

Your eyes met his and widened. He couldn't read your expression, watching nervously as you ran up the hill to him.

"Kai."

"Y/n."

"You're- oh my god I must be dreaming. You're actually here?" You asked, breathless and in disbelief. Kai nodded, a smile forming on his face. You looked at his face for 3 more seconds, before rushing to hug him.

"I missed you so much, you have no idea." The words rushed out of your mouth, and you felt tears prick at the edge of your eyes.

"I missed you too." Kai whispered, hugging you back tightly.

//

"Your phone was dropped in the ocean the day after you moved here?" Kai repeated your words, bewildered.

"It was an accident." You laughed. You two had been sitting on the hood of Kai's car for the past hour, talking as if nothing had changed.

"No wonder I couldn't message you." Kai pouted.

"But you're here now. Just a short 4 years later." You smiled, holding his arm and leaning over to him.

He giggled, "I took too long to be able to come back to you, didn't I?"

You nodded, "Way too long for my love to come back to me." You said dramatically.

"'My love'?" Kai echoed, fighting back a big grin.

"Yes." You mused, "My love: Kai Kamal Huening." Your hand was on his cheek and you gently turned his face to you, both of you smiling like idiots before you brought your lips together.