Chapter 35: Sowing the Seeds of Mistrust

Start from the beginning

"Your Grace," hobbled in Larys Strong. "As you've requested, I've made the necessary arrangements for our contingency plans. What's more, my agents inform me that they have made a remarkable discovery that might be beneficial to our plans."

"And what would that be, Clubfoot?" Beatrice huffed.

"Trust me, Your Grace, you'll want to see this." Larys handed over a thoroughly written report delivered to him from one of his spies embedded deep within the city.

Beatrice traced the words closely, her eyes moving from one paragraph to the next. Her eyes went wide momentarily before her smirk returned. "Oh, this is perfect," she spoke silently in triumphant. "Then this works perfectly." Rhaenyra, Rhaenyra, Rhaenyra... such a sneaky, naughty little girl you've been. "I want this to be taken care of."

"It will, Your Grace, but for now I recommend patience."

"Patience?"

"Let the Young Dragon have his day. And when the time comes, we will make our move. You will swoop in and bring in a valuable champion."

"Hmph! Very well then." Once the word gets out, those two will be too distracted to focus on me and will instead tear each other apart. You see, children, I will get what I want. One way or another, I always get what I want. My blood will claim the Iron Throne – and House Peake will rule the Seven Kingdoms.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Rhaenyra stood in her room, brushing her hair and humming. Since last night, the princess seemed less tense. No, she enjoyed herself. The thrill of sneaking out at night, seeing the sights... and experiencing the pleasures of sex. Rhaenyra had been sheltered for too long, but not anymore. Now without a care in the world, the princess contemplated her next move until she heard a knock on her door. "I'm dressed, Annora. Come," she called out.

The princess half-expected one of her handmaidens to enter her room, but to her surprise, it was Ser Criston Cole. The Kingsguard knight slowly entered the room. Since their first night, Criston felt a mix of shame and awkwardness. He had knowingly broken his sacred vow of chastity and stained the honor of his white cloak – and remained visibly uncomfortable.

"Princess," Criston averted his eyes.

"Come," Rhaenyra beckoned her lover over.

Criston, glancing up just as quickly as he diverted his gaze, steadily approached. "Ah, umm..." he stammered nervously. "Princess, I-I... the... your sister-in-law, the Lady Alicent Hightower, has asked to see you in the godswood."

"Hmm? I thought she and my brother went to the Street of Silk for the Summer Festival this morning."

"They did, but... well, I can't say for certain. All I was told was that she needed to talk to you once she got back. Said it couldn't wait another day."

Strange. Alicent never takes the initiative unless she feels certain it was deemed important enough. "Well, I suppose I shouldn't keep her waiting? Want to come with me, Criston?"

"I-I would, princess, but... Lord Commander Harrold has ordered all Kingsguard to convene in the White Sword Tower. I'm sorry."

"Eh, must've been another rundown again. No worries then. I'll see you again soon." Rhaenyra pecked Criston's cheek and left the room, leaving the Kingsguard blushing.

Red Keep ― Godswood...

Rhaenyra turned the corner leading to the godswood, the same place where she, her brother, and Alicent all hung out when they were children. It was the only area in the Red Keep where the trio could find solace whenever they wanted to be alone, away from all the politics and stresses the world had to throw at them. Taking a moment to adjust her necklace and toss her hair back, Rhaenyra noticed Alicent sitting underneath their tree. She did notice, however, that her childhood best friend/sister-in-law had tears in her eyes. Wait. Something is not right. "Alicent?" she called out concerned. "Alicent, are you all right?"