Chapter 35

When we get back home Aaden collapses onto a chair. He seems exhausted from all of the commotion. We both sit in the living room for a while watching people pass by on their way to their families after a long day's work.

Aaden breaks the silence with a worn out tone, "I'm sorry about my dad's behavior." he's hunched over in his chair and doesn't look me in the eye.

"It wasn't your fault," I say to try to comfort him. "You never told him to be rude to me."

"I know, but they do all of this because they think I'm throwing my soul away." He still refuses to meet my gaze. "If I would have just played along with them none of this would have happened."

I stand up from where i'm sitting and move to sit on the floor in front of him. "Do you want to talk about it?"

He's silent for a moment before letting out a sigh, "My parents are extremely religious. They think that if I don't follow all of the rules that Danol is going to take my soul and burn it instead of letting me go to the gardens when I die."

"Do you believe that?" I reach my hand up slowly and place it on his. I may not know if this will help but I can't live with the thought of not trying.

"No. Why should an all powerful being be allowed to create life and then be allowed to punish it for not doing what its told? The whole concept just doesn't make sense to me," he rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask nervously.

"Sure," he gave a very small smile.

"Why did he call me a witch? In my old village they call anything unexplainable witchcraft, but I don't do anything that's considered strange here. Shockingly I'm considered ordinary."

"You're anything but ordinary," he chuckles slightly. "It's common for some of the more hypocritical members of the church to suggest that people who left did so because of evil forces rather than the abuse they endured."

"That sounds terrible," I've heard of similar things happening in the church where I used to live, but never to this extent. It was always hushed rumors and snarky side glances never would it have resulted in a fight out in public.

"If you don't feel safe here I'll understand," as he speaks his voice is filled with sadness.

"I don't think there's a safer place in the village than here with you," I admit softly looking down at our hands. "Plus the others are over all the time. I know none of you will let any harm come to me." The look in his eyes dampens but doesn't disappear. I wish there was something I could do to help him more.

We talk for a little while longer then decide to turn in for the night. I try to go to sleep but can't get the thought of Aaden's eyes out of my head. I quietly leave my room and check around the house to find something to keep me occupied but with no luck I head back to my room. I light the lantern next to my bed and pull out the letter that I had hidden in the table drawer. As carefully as I can I remove the wax seal and open it.

Dear reader,

If you have found this letter I urge you to not destroy its contents. I am writing this as my servant packs my satchel for my escape. The council have murdered my husband and they plan to take me next. I should have noticed when he started to get sick a couple of months ago, but even he paid it no mind. They betrayed our trust and now my son will grow up without his father and our kingdom will fall to their greed. They think that I am nothing more than a figurehead but I know more than I hope they ever will about the fate of our kingdom. The royal seer has been imprisoned but before they got to her she was able to tell one last prophecy. A young woman will rise to right the wrongs of the council along with her four suitors. She is believed to be the final heir of the line of the gods. As my son is the only viable option to pass on the bloodline of his father I know that they are going to come after him as well. I am making my escape today with him. There is no doubt in my mind that they will find the mural in time, but the seer is loyal. As long as I leave with my son I give hope to our kingdom. I wish there were another way, but I don't have the gods blessing and without it the people will never follow me. If you are reading this know that whatever story they make up about my family is false. My husband was benevolent and we never wished harm on any people in our kingdom. I'm sorry it has come to this. Our kingdom's future now rests on the future heir.

Queen Amalia