22 Alone

"Welcome to gorilla warfare..." Ghost said through the radio. "Creepin' Jesus..." Soap whispered as he opened a door, a man sat proper up against the wall with a bullet wound in his head and a blood pool underneath him. "Close your eyes, Charlie," Soap said as Charlie held her eyes closed. She turned her head as Soap grabbed a rope off of the corpse, "poor bastard," he said. Soap grabbed the blade of a fan and tore it off, he created something to pry open doors with.

Charlie held her combat knife close as she left the room with Soap. "Sounds like you've don't this before," she said into the radio at Ghost. "Years of practice," Ghost replied, his voice almost a whisper. She watched as Soap pried open a door into a house, the fan blade busted as the sounds of a child screaming could be heard.

"Mama! Mama!" The boy cried. "Take the kid, get him out of here," Graves said to a Shadow. Charlie listened in and her heart grew cold. The Shadow comforted the child and held him close as he walked away. Charlie watched the scene unfold from a window and gripped the combat knife that was in her pocket, apart of her wanting to just slit their throats now.

Soap looked around as he motioned for Charlie to move up to the second floor of the house. Charlie covered her mouth to prevent herself from gasping as a man stumbled back, a bullet wound in his gut as he collapsed in front of her, the fact that she couldn't help him was driving her crazy. Tears began to form in her eyes as Soap gently held her close, the two slowly moving forward. "Found a Headlamp," Soap said, putting the device on his head.

Ghost spoke through the radio, "what's the latest?" "Mercs are killing everyone in their path," Charlie said, her voice shaking as she spoke. "War crimes..." Ghost sighed. "Makes me want to commit a few War Crimes of my own," Soap growls through his teeth, "tyranny, it won't stand," Ghost replied. "When do we get the green light to kill these guys?" The girl asked, listening to Graves massacre people below them.

"No more green lights, Charlie. We're on our own," Ghost said, his voice a lot more calm when directing her compared to Soap. "What about Alejandro?" Soap asked. "We can trust him, he's in Graves custody... that is, if he's alive," Ghost replies. The thought of Alejandro being murdered by Graves only fueled Charlie's fire of hate and anger.

"After that shitshow, will Alejandro even trust us?" Charlie asked. "We'll see, just trust yourself and each other, that's a start," Ghost said as Charlie began to relax. "Good advice, LT," Soap pushed forward with Charlie following quickly behind him.

"I wanna be like you when I grow up, sir," Charlie joked. "You wanna be better then me, Charlie," Ghost replied, his tone a bit sad as Charlie looked for materials. Charlie smiled to herself, "I will be," she said, her tone of voice comforting Ghost, "atta girl," he smiled.

The sound of a dog barking caused Charlie to gasp. A dog sat in a cage and pushed against it, trying to attack her. "Hell's fuckin' bells!" Soap shouted as he grabbed Charlie's hand, leading her to a balcony where he jumped first, landing on the cement with a grunt.

Charlie froze, Soap got up quickly and held his arms up towards Charlie, "you gotta jump...!" He said. Charlie began to shake as the sounds of Shadow member's footsteps got closer. "Charlie, I will catch you," Soap stated. She hoped over the bar and jumped off the balcony, Soap grabbed onto her tightly and placed her down on the ground. "You alright?" He asked, only for the girl to nod and stay quiet.

"Gimme a sit rep," Ghost asked. "Outside...gated alley," Soap replied. Charlie and Soap stayed low as they continued through the alley. "You may get a brag rag for this," Ghost joked. "A medal?" Soap questioned. "Chest candy," Ghost said, Charlie had ran forward to inspect ahead. "Dead Shadows are my medals," Soap's cold voice spoke as Ghost replied, "you said you wanted to win, congratulations, you're a winner."

Charlie watched as she looked forward, from the distance she could see the church so she ran forward into a building, leaving Soap by himself. "Johnny," Ghost said, "right here, LT," Soap replied. "Shepherd wants that girl dead, I'll explain everything later, for now I need you to make sure she lives, please," Ghost begs as Soap raised an eyebrow, "yes, sir, I'll keep her safe," he confirmed.

Soap caught up with the girl as she looked ahead watching as the Shadows killed some men in front of her, Soap climbed down from the roof and helped Charlie get down as well, the two continued forward as Soap kept to close, making sure to avoid Shadows at all costs.

"So, you tellin' me you see that big boy with the skull face and you're not gonna start sweatin'?" A Shadow asked. Charlie grinned as she heard this. "I'm not gonna see him," another Shadow scoffed, "you're right, you won't see him. It's too late if you see him, you're fuckin' dead already," the first Shadow continued, "and that kid, Graves said to leave her death up to him." "What's he gonna do to her?" The second Shadow asks. "Put a bullet in her skull..." the first one finished.

Charlie froze as she heard this, a pit formed in her stomach as she began to question why Graves wanted to kill she himself? It confused her so much to the fact that she didn't even notice Soap pull a blade out of a man's neck.

"You missing a knife, Ghost?" Charlie asked once her attention was turned back to the situation at hand. "Several," Ghost replied. "I think I found one," Soap chuckled.

Soap rolled a can into an alleyway, causing a Shadow to come over and investigate. "Take him down, kiddo," Soap grinned as Charlie went over and wrapped her arm around the man's neck, he collapsed back a bit into Charlie as she stabbed the blade through his neck, allowing her to take his gun off the body.

She tossed it towards Soap as he grinned, "fuckin' incredible, kid... We gotta find you somethin' now," Soap said as he began to look around. Charlie went another direction, the darkness of the night caused her to be unsettled as she turned around, no longer seeing Soap.

"Soap?" She softly called out, only for there to be no reply. An arm pushed her down to the floor as she hit her head against a building. She gasped and looked up to see a Shadow pointing his gun at her. "Don't fucking move," he growled as she looked down the barrel of the gun.

She looked up and made eye contact with the man, she began to realize that this could be it. She would never make it to the church or be able to see her brothers again. She began to think about them and how sad they would be to hear their older sister was murdered by ruthless people.

Until the Shadow lowered his gun. "What the hell am I doing..." he sighed, stepping back, "get the fuck out of here before I change my mind," he said as Charlie stood up and ran away.

He took pity on her, she is only alive because a man took pity on her. "Fucking hell," she mumbled as she realized what had just happened. Eventually Soap guess spotted and the two met up again, planning their escape as Soap tossed her a gun.

Gunfire. Charlie turned around and began to shoot at some Shadows who had spotted them. "Charlie! We gotta jump again!" Soap shouted as he jumped off another balcony, this time Charlie jumped alongside him without hesitation.

"It's pishin' it down out here," Soap groaned. "Speak English," Ghost rolled his eyes in annoyance as Soap corrected himself, "it's raining fucking hard." Charlie giggled a bit as she listened to the two men bicker.

"Then say so," Ghost stated.

"I did," Soap argued.

"Will you two shut your traps?" Charlie asked with a smile on her face.