Chapter Twelve: To the Rescue|Twisted Fates (❁'◡'❁)

I read through the financial report about next year's budget, but my mind is on the recent discoveries

I read through the financial report about next year's budget, but my mind is on the recent discoveries. I knew they were related, but their story is unlike any other. The truth will ravage them. I wish to shield my mate from anything destructive, but this one is not in my hand. Even If I could do it, I wouldn't do it. If she were to find out my actions, she wouldn't want anything to do with me.

"Alpha! We are under attack! Rogues are at the borders!"

"I'll be right there. Lock the packhouse down, and station some soldiers to defend it. Travel to the borders with the remaining soldiers, and I'll meet you there." I request the receptionist to prepare my car and message Ero, requesting backup.

I speed down the road to a secluded space. I'm aware running in wolf form is quicker, but in such a crowded space, it's easy for wandering eyes to discover our secret identities. Thus, the plan is in motion.

~

"Alpha! More rogues are appearing!" Carlos mind links me.

"I'm almost there. Keep the rogues away from the packhouse at all costs!"

I transform into my pitch-black royal wolf and dash through the night.

As soon as I reach the borders, I assess the situation. The fight is ruthless, and the rogues keep pouring in. They outnumber us, but our pack has been putting up a hell of a fight. Countless warriors keep on fighting despite having sustained multiple severe injuries.

"Let's rip their throats out!" I let my wolf take control. People claim I'm ruthless, but compared to my wolf, Leon, I'm a saint. When he detects danger, he becomes a ruthless machine. He only strikes once and is deadly.

Leon throws himself into the fight, attacking two rogues creeping up on Carlos. Then he proceeds to attack more rogues. Rogues keep pooling around him, trying to take him down, but to no avail.

"Look for the leader." Maybe taking the leader out will make them retreat, or at least it will stall them until backup arrives.

He spots him, standing behind his army, surveying his surroundings before he flees. Leon wastes no time and chases after him. He pursues him through the woods, but the rogue keeps dodging his attacks until Leon loses sight of him.

Leon tries to detect his scent until he eventually does. Although faint, it is enough for him to figure out his whereabouts.

"Why is he heading to a street?" Leon wonders.

After thinking about it, it comes to me. I know why the rogue took this direction. He has no desire to escape. His sole target is our mate, Ophelia.

"Ophelia is at risk!"

At the mention of our mate in danger, Leon dashes into the night.

How did he come to know about her whereabouts? Did he have someone follow her? But the warriors I have ordered to keep tabs on her and protect her never detected anyone else following her.

Leon picks up speed and tries to catch up to rogue. The chase ends up at a foggy part of the road. There are many scents mixed. There is the scent of the rogue, gasoline, and two additional. One belonging to our mate, while the other was presumably to Angelina.

Quick breaths escape from Ophelia that send me into action. I stride swiftly, proceeding into the thick fog. The sight immediately sends my wolf into attacking mode. Though, I was not alone. Another black wolf joins me, slightly smaller in size. I recognize him as Eros. There is no time for pleasantries, so we both strike at once. The impact sends the rogue a few feet away. That distance is enough for Ophelia to escape. Once I know she's somewhat safe, I attack the rogue, aiming for his neck. I keep inflicting injuries on him, but never in a vital spot. Together with Eros, we continue attacking him viciously. During one of my attacks, he manages to overpower us and flip the tables. He knocks Eros back and aims for my neck. I dodge his attack, but suddenly, he shifts his attention elsewhere. Following his eyes, my eyes meet those of Ophelia. She has a determined look on her face. She isn't showing an ounce of fear. In a blink of an eye, he attacks her, bringing her to the ground. Eros and I attack and eliminate him, but not before he has already wounded Ophelia. I rush to her side, but she has already lost consciousness. Angelina emerges from safety and screams in horror once she sees Ophelia's state. She collapses to the ground, Eros's wolf form breaking her impact.

With great difficulty, we put their bodies onto our backs and rush to the royal palace. I can feel her blood soaking my fur and the worry skyrockets. Leon runs even faster, our mate's weak state giving him motivation.