Chapter 2: Chloe.

Start from the beginning

"Arten, how rare for you to call," a feminine voice came from the device. "These things are pretty expensive to run so-."

"Did you know?" he growled and cut her off.

"What?"

"Did you know?" he repeated intensely.

The women on the other end picked up on what he was saying, "You found the box? What was inside?"

Mask sighed and turned to look at Chloe, "From that reaction at least you're not setting me up. It's a child. Girl, probably 6 years old."

"A-actually I'm 8," Chloe decided to call out.

"8 years old," Mask looked away waiting for a response. "Handler?"

"Hey... you're not going to put her back are you?" the women's question froze Chloe with fear. Though she had been asleep in the box and couldn't feel anything, the thought of being put back inside that cramped space caused the warmth of blanket to vanish.

"Of course not," Mask shot back. An ember of warmth returned and Chloe's beating heart started to settle.

"Sorry that was a rude question, of course you wouldn't. But shit," she swore, voice apologetic, "I didn't mean to get you involved in something like this."

"I know, regardless you owe me."

"I'll do what I can. Give me her details, I'll see what I can find."

Mask was about to speak but Chloe beat him, "N-no! I..., please don't. I'm not lying. I'll pay you back, just help me get home." Her heart clenched. She knew that if they searched it may help, but if they did and there was nothing, Chloe was afraid what that would mean.

"The girl doesn't want that," Mask nodded to her.

"Then what are you going to do? You're on a job right now, an important one," the women asked seriously.

"I'm-," Mask began but then paused as something outside the window caught his gaze. "I screwed up."

"What happened?" the women's concern echoed how Chloe felt.

"As it would turn out those three mercenaries weren't the tolerable kind. The Sumerians tossed them from the ship. They're back on the docks."

Chloe edged herself to the window but was too short to look beyond as she dragged the blanket behind her. With an awkward lift she propped herself on a nearby crate. In the distance on the edges of the dock was a carriage and three men beside it. It was too far to make out their faces or who they were but seeing them Chloe's instincts kicked in and she flung herself out of sight. Her grip on the blanket tightened.

"Once they find the box is gone they'll blame the Sumerians," the women spoke simply. "You're fine."

"No, I left my calling card," Mask replied easily.

"Why!?" the women was furious.

"If I hadn't and they discovered it mid voyage they'd have put the ship and crew in danger."

"Then sneak back in and get rid of your calling card! If they're there they can't-."

"Their blame would still fall to their Sumerians and it would be all too easy to track them down. I won't put them in danger for our decisions."