Chapter 22: Old Faces

A/N: 22/02/2023

How many hours of sleep do you get on average? I think I get around 6-7 hours of sleep most of the time (unless I'm staying up studying 🥲). I can't seem to get 8 hours though.

Early bird our night owl? I'm definitely an early bird ><

Enjoy this chapter ♡ please don't forget to leave a vote too!

***

ALSO VERY EXCITING NEWS, My Lovely Roommate will be published as a paperback at the beginning of March!!! Make sure to follow me here or on my Instagram to stay updated for the official release date :) yes yes we'll finally get to see Jihoon & Jax's story in a tangible BOOK 🎉🥳🎆

🏠🏠🏠

I swallowed loudly, seeing the smirk form on his lips. Keep calm, keep calm, keep calm…

“I’m serious, what did you mean by-”

But my mouth snapped shut and my body stiffened when I felt the tip of his foot slowly glide up my ankle from under the table. I clenched my jaw, wanting to kick his leg away. Violence was never the answer and I couldn’t find myself to hurt him, so I quickly pulled away instead. 

“Not funny,” I deadpanned through bared teeth. 

“Say, do you remember when you were bullied in high school?” he asked out of the blue. 

I blinked in utter confusion, incapable of understanding the logic of going from playing footsie under the table to asking me about my past.  

But I sighed, giving up on trying to understand Jax. “Of course, how can I not forget the four most traumatising years of my life,” I snorted. 

“Just the other day, right after you pissed yourself (I scowled at how blunt he was being), you came crying to my room at 2 a.m,” he noted. My lips pressed together. I still had nightmares about my high school days and whenever I woke up crying, I always went to Jax’s room for comfort. When he was home anyway. It was probably one of the few rare moments when Jax didn’t do anything to hurt me, physically or psychologically.  I assumed that it was because he was too tired to grab his belt or handcuffs. Instead, he’d tell me to shut up, but let me sleep on his bed with him, sometimes even hugging me again his chest until I stopped crying. At first, I thought that he was actually being a genuine, nice guy, but then he’d go back to his abusive-self the next morning like nothing ever happened. 

I could never understand him. 

“You know why you were bullied?” he suddenly asked. “It’s because you let them.”

Was he really blaming me for being bullied? 

"Because you’re a coward who was too scared to stick up for yourself. You're naïve and overly insecure, without a single back bone in your body to keep you on your feet to defend yourself from harm. You let yourself be a victim because you're too scared, that's why you were bullied."

I stood up, slamming my hands against the table with anger. “What the hell is wrong with you?!” I demanded. “I’m sick and tired of you playing with my emotions and always telling me how shitty of a person I am. Have you looked in the mirror?!” I was definitely going to regret saying all of this, but I was on a roll, there was no stopping me now. “You know what? I’m packing my things tonight and I’m leaving your ungrateful, psychopathic ass for good!”

He raised his brows, unimpressed. “What, are you going to run off to your new crush, Toby? You should keep in mind that he’s not going to keep a man slut like you.”