Made to Shine - Shining Light - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

‘God knew before you were born the plans he had for you. He even knew what door you would walk through and the doors you would pass by. But, luckily for us stubborn children, God allows second, third and even fourth chances (sometimes even more, I know from experience). He will allow us to choose on our own, but He loves us so much that he allows us to choose. No other deity, has ever given their subjects a chance to choose. But, the One True God is a gentleman and He will not force us to do things we don’t want to do. And He will even take us into His loving arms when we screw up and cry, ‘Abba, Father’ because He loves us.’

Business was booming, the bakery was busier than normal. But, Emily liked it that way! Normally she began working around four in the morning and did not stop until about nine that night. Grandma had insisted that she could still help out and pull her share, so Emily did not want to insult her by hiring help, but with business booming, Emily knew she at least needed another decorator.

She called the culinary school and asked for the school to send by a couple of decorators who had recently graduated to come by for interviews. With only days before the Hayes’ party, she hired Scott, a recent graduate and excellent decorator and baker. This was his second career, after leaving the business world to follow his culinary dreams, this was his first job as a designer’s assistant and hoped to work his way up in his career with Emily.

Emily was so busy with the bakery and training Scott that she did not have time to think about the Hayes’ party until the day before when she began preparing for the cupcakes. She wanted to give Becky and Brad the best cupcakes possible, so thinking about Ben wasn’t even an option. But, at night when she slept, subconsciously her mind was allowed to remember Ben and the great times they shared so long ago. Several mornings before the party, she would wake up with him dancing through her dreams.

Deciding on coconut macaroon, chocolate ganache, red velvet and cinnamon cupcakes, the finishing touches were put on and the last decadent treats were being boxed up when the shop closed at six. Scott loaded them in the delivery van while Emily ran upstairs for a quick shower and change and then off to deliver the cupcakes and set up the display at the Hayes home. Luckily it was only a few blocks away and should not take more than ten minutes in the delivery van.

Dressing in a simple knee length black dress that showed Emily’s contours without being skin tight, she left her auburn hair down in loose curls to the middle of her back and applied the simplest basic make-up. Coming down the steps and getting the keys from Scott, she noticed the look he gave her as she entered the kitchen. Not overtly staring, but one of appreciation.

Scott was in his mid thirties and very handsome. Emily was sure he worked out or at least ran in his off time. His hair was dark brown with a slight salting of gray at the sideburns. His eyes were hazel, but changed colors with lighting she had noticed over the past few days.

“Do I look OK?” Emily asked as Scott continued to look at her.

“Um. Yeah. Do you always dress up for a delivery?” Scott asked finally looking away wiping off an already clean table.

Emily laughed softly, “No, but these are old friends and I was also invited to the party. I don’t plan to stay long, but it has been a long time since I accepted one of their invitations, so I kind of feel obligated. Besides, we are also doing the wedding and the groom’s cake in a few months.”

“Oh. That is good.” Scott said as he looked up at her. “I guess I will see you tomorrow.”

“Yep, see you in the morning.” Emily said with a smile as she picked up her purse and keys and headed out to the delivery van.