13. MATE CALL

About thirty minutes later, Abigail returned to the table with Ryder, her cheeks flushed. Candice couldn't help but be delighted at her friend's happiness. Mason's soft growl pulled her out of her thoughts. She narrowed her eyes and extended her hand to his, realizing he appeared ill. "Are you okay?"

Candice gasped when he grabbed her hand and desire shot through her. Their eyes met as he stood and pulled her to her feet. Ryder stood beside them, touching Mason's shoulder. Eyebrows furrowed, Mason glanced around before disappearing into the enormous crowd. Without saying a word, Ryder followed suit.

Candice glowered at Stephanie, who looked like she was about to pass out. "Stephanie, what did that drink contain?" When Stephanie didn't answer her, Candice stood up. She reached across the table, seized her wrist, and jerked her to her feet. "You better answer me before I—"

"Decifur," Stephanie said. "I put decifur."

Befuddled, Candice released her. "What on earth is decifur?"

"Decifur is a potion created by witches to help mates with issues. Too much can cause a young wolf to not be aware of their actions." Sheryl came to the table, accompanied by Yvonne. "Why are you asking?"

"Because Stephanie just gave that to Mason."

Sheryl glared at Stephanie. "Have you lost your mind?"

"What's going to happen to Mason?" Candice's eyes fluttered closed as a sweet tingle spread through her body.

Sheryl grasped her chin. "It will increase sexual desire. By the looks of it, it will affect you as well. Hopefully, it only lasts for a couple of hours."

Candice's eyes snapped open. "Hours?" How could she endure the foreign sensations invading her body? "This is too much." When a howl rang through the dance club, everyone stopped dancing and conversing—even the music stopped playing.

"Take me to him."

"Candice, I can't guarantee that it is safe for both of you to be left alone downstairs."

Candice gasped when her body vibrated with desire. She clung to the table, her legs threatening not to withstand her weight. "Just take me to him. That is an order, Sheryl." When Candice tried to follow Sheryl, someone grabbed her wrist. She looked over her shoulder and smiled at Abigail. "I'm going to be fine."

Reluctantly, Abigail released her hand. Candice followed Sheryl through the crowd. By the time they reached a narrow hallway, the music resumed. Sheryl signaled down the corridor. "Go straight, then take the elevator to the basement. He should be there with Ryder. Perhaps all you need is to be close to each other. Decifur has different effects on everyone... Good luck."

Once she reached the elevator, Candice pressed the triangle button and waited, arms folded over her chest. She stepped into it after the doors slid open, then pressed the button to enter the basement. After the elevator jolted into motion, she slid back and forth the wolf charm on the necklace around her neck. The moment it stopped, her heart almost leaped out of her chest. The door slid open to reveal an empty hexagon-shaped room. Candice stood in front of the elegant sofa with two flower arrangements on either side, then faced the only door.

Before she could inch closer to it, Ryder pulled it open. When his gaze fell upon her, his eyes flew wide open. "Candice. What are you doing here?"

"Is Mason there?"

He nodded.

Candice tried to walk around him, but he stopped her. "I suggest you return upstairs."

"I'll be fine." She seized the handle, then pushed the door open. A soft piano melody filled the room. Candice realized she couldn't hear the blaring music. The walls were soundproof. When the piano music stopped, she glanced into the room to find Mason sitting on the stool of a black piano. He stood up and faced her, his eyes flickering from amber to obsidian. His lips parted, flaunting sharp incisors.