25. WAR

As soon as they arrived at her father's territory, a sharp pain stabbed her heart. With every step, images of the sweet times she spent with Mason invaded her mind. A loud growl escaped her lips as tears streamed down her cheeks. Her stomach clenched with pain, making her whimper. She held a hand against it as she forced herself to keep moving. Her throat felt like sandpaper, and it hurt to swallow.

She was parched, longing for his blood.

When a hand grabbed hers, she jerked away, continuing the walk to the center of the city her father had created within the enormous white walls. Every step shot waves of painful tremors through her body.

Her sweet mate betrayed her.

When she stumbled, struggling to stand, Harry picked her up in her arms, ignoring her when she demanded to leave her alone. Knowing he wouldn't listen to her, Candice rested her head against his chest, wishing she could be stronger.

"You need to break your bond," Harry said, continuing the walk toward the large white and gold castle made of stone.

Even after knowing everything, Candice wouldn't have the strength to break the bond. If she didn't, it would eventually kill her. She didn't want to die. Not because she was afraid of death—if she died, all the pain would end, giving her peace—but because she didn't want to leave Mikaela.

Mikaela needed her.

"I could sense the truth in his words, Candice," Harry said. "He loves you and would never hurt you."

"Then why didn't he tell me everything?"

He looked down at her, a weak smile on his small lips. "Because he was afraid of losing you."

Candice glanced up at the sky and felt a sharp pain in her heart again. Shooting him in the head was overboard. He had explained himself. If he wanted to, he could have killed her. Instead, he protected her friends and her. However, it was too late for them now. She declared war. At this moment, her father was preparing everything.

By the time they reached their destination in the center of the elegant homes, her stomach felt ripped apart from the inside. Harry carried her across the white bridge and stopped in front of the large doors. Nick stepped around him and knocked. Everything around her faded into darkness, Mason's words echoing in her head.

No matter what happens, remember I love you. You were the best thing that happened to me.

She welcomed the sweet darkness.

Her eyes snapped open, a loud cry escaping her lips as a sharp agonizing pain spread through her body, forcing tears down her cheeks. She parted her mouth to speak, but no words came out. A hand grabbed hers, squeezing it.

"Candice, calm down," Abigail whispered, brushing her hair back. "You need to calm down." An immense pain laced her voice as she spoke. "Your hunger is worsening."

Candice's gaze fell on the black curtains preventing sunlight from entering the room. "What's...happening...to me?" Her throat burned and speaking took a lot of energy.

"Sh. It is better if you don't speak right now."

Candice tried to move, but Abigail stopped her. A loud growl escaped Candice's lips, forcing her to back up. "I need to walk. How long was I passed out?"

"A day. Candice, your father is trying to find something to help you with your hunger."

Candice dragged herself out of bed, her legs aching like they had been pounded with a hammer. She wouldn't spend another day on that bed. Pushing the doors open took a lot of strength. Her hands felt fragile as if they would break any minute.