28. HEAL WITH TIME

The day they welcomed Gabriel into the family was hectic. One moment, Candice strolled through the beautiful garden with Mason, enjoying the flowers' sweet aromas. Then she was carried toward the castle, everyone hurrying to get the pack doctor.

Mason got her into the clinic in under a couple of minutes. When they tried to take him out because he had to fill out the papers, the nurse almost ended up getting her hands ripped out of her body. Candice had to call him to stand beside her until he calmed down as they prepared everything. They weren't together as a couple, but Candice felt like they had never been this close before.

Resting her head against the soft pillow, she bit her lips as the contractions intensified, making her want to crush the bones of Mason's hand. He obviously read her thoughts because he jerked his hand away for a moment.

She laughed. "I want to kill you at this instant."

He chuckled. "You have every right to, but wait until I meet my son."

After twelve hours of labor with one final push, Candice finally heard the first cry of her baby. Mason cut the umbilical cord before Samuel handed the baby to him. Candice was somewhat shocked by the fact tears fell from Mason's eyes as he held the baby in his arms, staring down at him with bright eyes. Not once did he care the baby still wasn't cleaned by the nurses. In his arms, the baby looked even smaller.

Reluctantly, one of the nurses reached out to grab the baby from Mason. Her pale face with wide eyes told Candice that it petrified her to get close to Mason. Candice didn't blame her. Mason had tried to kill her a couple of hours ago. Finally, Mason handed her Gabriel, then stood by Candice's side as they cleaned him up. Giving birth was painful, but her gorgeous baby was worth it.

Candice didn't notice when she fell asleep. By the time she woke up, she was in a room with the baby in a hospital crib. Through the clear glass, she could see him sleeping. Of happiness, she sobbed.

The room door squeaked open. She watched Mason, overcome with joy, as he entered the room, a backpack in his hand. Ignoring the minor pain in her lower region, Candice sat up and tried to heave herself out of bed, but he stopped her.

"Stay in bed." He sat beside her after she lay back down. "The pack sent the baby lots of stuff." He pulled out tiny clothes for the baby and laid them out in front of her. "I'll bring the rest later."

"When are you bringing Mikaela so I can see her?"

"She's here with your father. He said he would bring her later to you... I think she should stay with me until—"

"I can take care of her and Gabriel," Candice said, grabbing a small beige shirt with a toy truck on it in her hands.

"Are you certain? Taking care of two babies isn't easy."

"I can do it. Besides, if I need help, I can ask any of my—" Mason placed his hand on hers, causing her to stop speaking so she wouldn't lose her composure. All these days, trying to mask her feelings and act like they were only friends drove her insane. Every minute he was close, she desired to do things friends didn't do together. She pulled her hand away, pretending to want to keep looking at the baby's clothes.

"Candice, they are my children as well."

"I know..." She smiled as she met his gaze. "You better be prepared to wake up at four in the morning."

He smiled back at her. "I'll manage." Mason rose and approached the crib. He grabbed Gabriel in his arms, his eyes glinting with delight. "He looks a lot like me."

"I know. How unfortunate," she said, playing around.

Mason chuckled. "He has your eyes."

"He's awake?" Candice asked, sitting up. "Give him to me." This would be the first moment she would hold her son in her arms. When Mason handed him to her, she couldn't stop smiling. For just being born a couple of hours ago, he looked wide awake. Mason was correct. He had the color of her eyes, but they were round like his. The large lashes and thin nose were defiantly his father's. Gabriel was a replica of Mason.