4. THE AGREEMENT

As they approached Jared's territory, elegant homes loomed out of the forest across the valley. A white mansion stood at the center of the homes. Two subordinates opened the large arched wrought iron doors as they ascended the porch stairs. Once inside, they stood in the foyer, waiting for Jared.

"Welcome to my home." Jared stood at the top of the enormous double stairs, which were lined with ornate banisters. He wore a dark, tailored suit and carried himself with an air of confidence. His piercing gaze made it clear that he was in charge and commanded respect. The light from the chandelier above illuminated his features, giving him an air of regality. "My deepest sympathies to you and your friends. Your mother was not only an ally but also a friend. You're welcome to stay here as long as you wish."

"How do we know we can trust you?" Carl asked.

"Well, if I wanted all of you dead, I could have had my son exterminate you out in the woods."

He could have. This pack was the highest-ranking of all three islands and the largest. They could have killed them in seconds, but they didn't. Instead, they aided them. His son saved her life, so perhaps they deserved a chance.

Why shouldn't she trust them when he was willing to aid her mother with alliance sealing?

"I need to contact my father."

Jared thought for a moment. "Forgive me child, but didn't your mother teach you anything about mates?"

"What do you mean?" Candice hadn't had a second to stop and think straight, and neither had her friends. If her father hadn't been attacked while reaching her home, he could have been fighting for his life. When one mate died, the other followed soon after. She fought back tears as she lowered her gaze.

Jared hesitated before touching her shoulder. "Your father is strong enough to recover. As soon as he does, I'm certain he will contact you. Mason, tell the cook to prepare something for our guests. Angel, have the Omegas prepare five rooms."

Candice folded her arms over her chest. "We don't need separate rooms. We will take a guest room if that is okay."

"That is fine with me. Angel, prepare one of the largest guest rooms." The second Jared finished giving out orders, everyone left to do them. When her mother gave out orders, it was the same: everyone did what they were told, never questioning her.

Candice marveled at the speed and ferocity with which her friends ate the food the cook prepared for them. It shouldn't have surprised her. Werewolves needed to consume a large amount of food to sustain their energy. They had been out in the forest for hours without food.

From the corner of her eye, she noticed two large figures entering the dining room. Yvonne's glass cup slipped out of her grasp, shattering the second it impacted the floor. Shards of broken glass scattered all around her feet. As she tried her best to not step on the pieces of glass, she stood up to pick them up from the floor, but the man named Angel stopped her.

"Don't worry about it." He motioned one of the Omegas to pick it up, and they listened. For a wolf to give out commands as he did, they had to be the Beta, the Alpha's right hand.

The Omega cleaned up the mess, then exited the dining room. Yvonne pushed her chair closer to Candice when Angel took a seat next to her. Candice nudged her elbow, but she ignored her. She fixed her gaze on her empty plate as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. Everyone else eyed each other, taking small bites of their food. An awkward silence hung in the air as the minutes passed.

The beta finally broke the silence. "Your room is ready." He rose from his chair, a glass filled with orange juice in his hand. "If you are finished, I can show you the way."