11. RAVEN KING

The sky was painted in a stunning palette of vibrant pinks and oranges, the sun a blazing ball of golden light that rose higher and higher in the sky. Soft rays of light peeked through the branches of the trees, casting a tranquil atmosphere.

Candice smiled at the beautiful melodies of the birds that welcomed the morning.

"I have to return to the castle." Her father hugged her. "I wish I could stay and—"

"I understand you have many duties as the vampire king."

"I'll keep in touch, as well." Harry grasped her chin and tilted her head for their eyes to meet. "Don't let your guard down, alright?"

"Okay." Trying her best to maintain composure, Candice ran her fingers over the gold crescent moon embroidered in his suit right above his heart. It was almost identical to the one in her father's suit. Except, Harry's didn't have the diamond star in the center. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you, too."

As she watched them leave, the sharp pain in her chest intensified. When her legs threatened to fail, Mason steadied her. She clung to Mason's forearms as they tightened around her waist. The pain threatening to devour her sharpened at the memory of her mother, elated to have her father return. They could have been a happy family—but that was stolen from them.

"I feel lightheaded." Before she collapsed, Mason picked her up, bridal style. Noting her friends heading her way with concern, she sent a message to let them know she was okay, not to worry. She simply felt lightheaded, but it was nothing serious.

Mason set her down beside his truck and opened the passenger door for her. "Perhaps, you should see the doctor when—"

"It's okay... I'm feeling better." Even with the step to help her, she still had to hold on to Mason's upper arm to sit on the passenger side. After shutting the door, he walked around the front of the truck to the driver's side. Candice smiled at Nick as he joined everyone else in the red SUV Mason gave them after the small lantern event for their families.

"If you continue to feel lightheaded, please see the doctor." Mason shut the driver's door, his eyes meeting hers. "Please, I don't want to drag you into the infirmary like a stubborn child."

She chuckled. "You wouldn't dare."

His smile revealed his dimples. "Of course, I would." Pain flickered in his eyes. "Candice, mates aren't the only ones who can die of grief."

She averted her gaze. "Fine... I'll visit the doctor if I feel unwell again."

Taking a deep breath, she leaned her head against the headrest and shut her eyes. The moment the car moved, they snapped open as her body jumped, startled by the sudden motion. It wasn't the first time they were alone in his truck. Yet, she couldn't stop shaking her leg and biting her nails.

With shuddering fingers, she grabbed the wolf charm and slid it back and forth on the chain. Mason caught her hand, stopping her. Her eyes widened when she realized she zoomed out. They had arrived back home.

Her heartbeat quickened as Mason's gaze met hers. "Are you nervous?"

She let out a chuckle that probably confirmed his suspicions. "Of course not." The moment he let go of her hand, she opened the passenger door. In the blink of an eye, he was there. They both laughed as he aided her out of the truck. His soothing laughter will always make her heart flutter. When she tried to follow everyone else inside, he grasped her hand and pulled her to him.

Heat built in her chest before spreading to her neck and face as he drew his lips closer to hers, never breaking the intense eye contact. He kissed her, sending a sweet shudder through her body. As their lips moved in sync, she clung to his shoulders to pull him closer, wanting to feel more of his warmth.