27. FORGIVENESS

It was difficult to believe this was reality and not her mind playing tricks on her. Nina and Andrew were alive. After Candice pulled away from Nina, Andrew engulfed her in a warm embrace and kissed her forehead. Candice's heart throbbed with pain when she noticed the emptiness in her sister's eyes. She looked lost in her own world. She didn't cry, nor showed emotion on her face.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry, I let him hurt you," Andrew whispered to Nina, tears streaming down his cheeks.

Without a word, Nina glanced into his eyes and reached her hand up to touch his cheek for a moment. Ryan tried to hug Nina, but she jerked away. There was no sign of fear—of anything—in her large cocoa-colored eyes. Ryan's eyes glistened with tears as he stepped away from her. Just as Candice could tell she was broken and needed time to heal from Flynn's horrendous tortures, Ryan knew it as well.

While Candice enjoyed her life beside Mason, who knew the horrendous things Nina endured. Not wanting to bother anyone, Candice moved toward the door, needing fresh air. The floor beneath her swayed, making her lightheaded and want to throw up.

Strong arms stopped her from hitting the ground. "Clam down, your pain affects our child."

Trying hard to calm her insane heartbeat, Candice regained her balance but fell again. Mason grabbed her under her arms, stopping her from collapsing. Her eyelids grew heavier, allowing darkness to grip her.

Candice woke up back in the castle. Someone opened the door, not bothering to knock. By the refreshing minty aroma mixed with manliness, she knew who it was before he climbed into bed with her and wrapped his arms protectively around her.

"How do you feel?"

"Much better," she said. "But I'm famished." She could smell the sweet blood pumping through his veins. "How long was I asleep for?"

"It's been a week," Mason whispered against her ear, making her close her eyes as a sweet shudder spread through her body.

"Why on earth did I sleep for so long?" She asked, placing a hand above his on her small bump. She turned to the opposite side to meet Mason's gaze.

"Your father said something about the baby making you want to sleep a lot." He tucked a lock of hair behind her ear before kissing her forehead. She looked at his tempting lips, wishing he had kissed her on the lips instead. "Pregnancy suits you." He placed a hand on her belly again. "You look even more exquisite."

Hearing his compliment made her elated.

"Where is Mikaela?"

He pulled away, leaving her craving his warmth, then heaved out of bed to pick her up from a wooden crib. "She has grown so much in such a short time. She has also gained some weight."

Candice chuckled. "I took her to the pediatrician. She only weighs fifteen pounds."

"Fifteen pounds for an almost three-month-old baby isn't a lot?" Mason asked, a playful smirk on his lips.

"She is a healthy baby, so stop criticizing her weight." Candice got out of bed and walked toward them. Mikaela seemed incredibly happy to be in her father's arms. She looked up at him, a big smile that showed she still had no teeth.

"What will they do about packs without Alphas?"

"Demarcus is holding a meeting with Andrew to decide what you and I should do."

Candice raised an eyebrow. "I'm not an Alpha."

"No? I believe you killed Flynn. You have become their Alpha and now you're part of the council."