3. ELUDE

"We have to do something," Abigail whispered, struggling to maintain composure. "They can't all be dead..."

Ryan wrapped his arms around her. Abigail rested her head on his shoulder, silent tears falling from her eyes. Carl placed a shuddering hand on her shoulder, his eyes glistening a pearl white. If it wasn't for his gift, their enemies would have detected them. He could shadow anything he desired, but his skill had its limits. If overused, it would drain all his energy.

Candice pulled away from Nick and moved toward the tree closest to their home. Nick locked an arm around her, presumably to ensure she didn't expose herself to their enemy. Eyes narrowed into slits, she tried to peer through the darkness to see the faces of the wolves. However, the distance and hooded sweatshirt everyone wore made it impossible.

They dragged all the bodies of their families into the main house before splashing some liquid on the outer walls of the homes from red containers: gasoline. Wolves came with torches in their hands and set their homes ablaze.

Candice's knees buckled from under her at the sight of the orange and red flames devouring her home, filling her nostrils with the acrid sting of the fumes. If it wasn't for the hand around her waist, she would have collapsed. At the cracking and popping of wood, she flinched. With tears streaming down her face, Candice could only watch helplessly as her beloved home burned to the ground.

Even after the wolves left, no one moved from their spots. It might have been a trap to lure anyone else hiding. Why would they do this to them? A pack of thirty-five was now down to seven. Even though three were twenty years old, none had reached adulthood in the eyes of any werewolf. How would they survive without their parents?

Squeezing her eyes shut, Candice leaned her head back against Nick's shoulder. She hoped that this was nothing but a horrendous nightmare and that she would wake up to her mother's comforting smile. Nina and Andrew would give her another tough lesson.

The next morning, Candice's eyes fluttered open as she lifted her head from Nick's chest. Placing both her hands on his shoulders, she gave him a small shake to wake him up. His eyes snapped open, and he sat up, eyes swiveling in every direction which were red and swollen just as hers probably were. She woke up twice last night, crying at the top of her lungs at the agonizing pain tearing her heart to pieces.

As she pushed herself off the forest floor, everyone else woke up. Without a second thought, she sprinted toward her home. Just as she reached it, her legs gave out, sending her to her knees.

Carl held back a whimpering Yvonne. "No!" She shook her head in disbelief. "No!"

Candice pinched her arm, hoping to wake up from the nightmare. However, her home's charred remains were still there. This wasn't a dream. It was reality. They were gone—her brother, sister, mother—everyone. Tears streamed down her face as she screamed in agony. Despair wrapped around her, suffocating her.

Nick cupped her face, his own eyes revealing his turmoil. "Don't let the pain consume you."

"I want to join them--I can't survive without them," she wept, tasting her tears' saltiness.

"Don't say that. Candice, you must be strong. You're our Alpha."

She stared at the golden mark. It never occurred to her that she would ever become the Alpha of her pack. It wasn't her title to claim. Andrew deserved it, not her. Nick pulled her up to her feet before hugging her. Everyone walked closer, making one of the group hugs they always did when one of them was in a bad mood.

The pain of a wolf with Alpha blood in their veins always reflected on their pack. However, the agonizing pain coursing through her veins didn't reflect on them. They all lost their families. They felt the same pain, burning a deep wound through their hearts that would never heal, not even with time. How could they live in a world without their loved ones?