8. BLOOD LUST

Carl touched his nose, laughing in pure amusement. Angel apparently believed he could sleep with she-wolves, but Yvonne couldn't kiss one of her closest friends. Candice moved to stop them from fighting, but a shove sent her stumbling forward, her hip bumping against the corner of the table. As she regained her footing, Carl's fist struck Angel's jaw, forcing him to take a step back.

"You can do whatever you want, but Yvonne can't?"

Angel launched toward Carl again, but Yvonne stepped in between them and held him back by the shoulders. Her touch calmed Angel down; his eyes instantly returned to normal. He looked down at her and smiled. Yvonne pulled away, which appeared to sadden him.

The high-pitched laughter from the she-wolf behind Candice hurt her ears. "You have a mate? Poor girl, Angel isn't the type to settle down." The mockery laced in her tone made Candice hiss, flaunting her fangs. The she-wolf didn't seem disturbed, presumably expecting Candice to be weak due to her age.

Not giving the she-wolf time to react, Candice encircled her fingers around her throat and slammed her face against the elegant table. She hissed before burying her face into the she-wolf's neck, her fangs piercing the tender skin. Blood pervaded her mouth, but as it slid down her throat, her body tensed, and her stomach clenched.

The blood tasted like venom.

Strong hands jerked her away from the she-wolf, forcing her to release her. The she-wolf dropped to her knees and crawled away from Candice, a hand clasped over the open wound in her neck. Now, she didn't look as tough as seconds ago.

With a hiss, Candice struggled against the one holding her by the arms. A low growl coming from the dining room entrance made her turn her head to find Demarcus and Dante holding Mason as he struggled against them.

Samuel, the pack doctor, came with a syringe in his hand. For a second, Candice thought it was for her, but Samuel buried the needle in Mason's upper arm instead. Mason's glowing gold eyes turned piercing blue before collapsing to the floor. Candice's heart dropped to the ground, and she tried to squirm out of Jared's hold as they carried Mason out of her view.

What on earth had just happened?

Her throat burned like she swallowed acid. Jared released her when she screamed in pain. She felt like her chest was on fire, unable to breathe as the pain seared through her. As she slumped to the ground, she clenched her quivering fingers into fists.

"W―What's wrong with me?" She glanced up at Jared; he was the only one capable of answering her question. Her friends rushed to her side to help her up. Candice shoved them away before everything she had eaten that day came back out. She gasped for air, an excruciating fire spreading through her. Any slight movement caused her to cry out in pain. Tears trickled down her cheeks when Jared picked her up in his arms, bridal style.

Candice stared at the ceiling for a moment before squeezing her eyes shut as the pain magnified. "What's wrong with me?" she mumbled.

"I'm not sure, but I'll figure it out." He seemed deeply concerned about her well-being.

She must have dozed off for a couple of minutes. When she forced her eyelids apart, Jared pushed the door to her room open, then laid her down on the bed. From behind him, she could see her friends' worried expressions.

"Don't worry about me. I'm fine."

"I'll try to figure out what is wrong with you, then I will send Samuel here with a remedy for it." Jared kissed her forehead before exiting the room.

Abigail stepped closer, hands clasped in front of her, her gaze on the floor. "Mason almost lost it when he saw Jared holding you against your will. Candice— "