7. A BREATHTAKING FIRST KISS

After recollecting herself, Candice returned to the living room, even though Mason said she was not obligated to. Once in front of the Alphas, she put on her finest act, pretending not to break inside. "Forgive me— "

"Oh, child," Demarcus began. "There is no need for apologies. You're only nineteen and have gone through a lot... We all understand this is overwhelming for you."

Neither of the Alphas showed signs of hatred or disgust toward her. On the contrary, they all seemed genuinely saddened by what had happened. However, she was no fool. One of them hated her to the extent of wanting to end her existence. He pretended to care to blend in with the rest.

The second the Alphas left the house, Candice could finally breathe normally again.

Jared faced them, unmistakable bewilderment on his expression. "If you wish, I can ask our pack doctor to give you something— "

"I'm fine." She tried her best to smile.

"I'm uncertain if it was a wise idea to inform them of your suspicions."

"Why?" she asked.

"Because now, they will avoid making a mistake if they attack again."

Her eyes narrowed. "I didn't think of that."

Mason shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans, an unfathomable expression on his face. "Can you come with me to the study? The documents you requested are ready."

In silence, she followed him into the study. He handed her a folder, which she set on the desk and opened it, reading its contents twice to ensure it included everything she wanted. When they got married, she would keep all her assets separate from his, the packs would not become one.

He handed her a pen, their fingers touching, the skin-to-skin contact sending warmth through her. She maneuvered the pen above the line where she had to sign and set it on the desk. "Is that all I need to sign?"

She turned to hand the papers to him, not realizing how close he was. When she bumped into him, he clasped her shoulders to help her regain her balance. As Mason moved closer, her eyes lingered on his full, even-shaped lips. His aroma of mint mixed with masculinity drowned her, making her shut her eyes for a moment, relishing it.

Heat rushed into her cheeks as his mouth drew closer to hers. Their gazes met, and he paused a hair's breadth away. In that instant, her breath caught, and all her worries were thrown out the window. She bridged the gap between their lips, her heart fluttering with excitement as his soft lips met hers. Mason smiled before brushing his velvety lips over hers, intensifying the butterflies in her stomach. At the lingering touch, waves of heat rushed through her body.

He pulled her closer, encircling his arm around her waist and drawing her in so tightly that there was no gap between them. She blushed, never being so intimately close to a man before. He kissed her with such delicate expertise that her skin tingled in his embrace.

She could have pushed him away if she desired, but the truth was that she didn't want to. She was lost in the moment, savoring the exquisite sensations he evoked within her. Words failed to capture the emotions that illuminated her heart. It was better than she had ever envisioned her first kiss would be.

Mimicking his movements, she felt his free hand on her neck, deepening the kiss even further. Her hands clung to his broad shoulders as she bit playfully at his button lip, then licked it, savoring the divine taste of his blood. A soft growl rumbled in his chest, the hand around her waist pressing her against him.

Finally, he broke apart from her, leaving her yearning for more. Her fingers itched to feel his hair, to pull him back. He was out of breath just as she was, his eyes flickering with fiery amber that hinted at his inner struggle.