14. ALPHA'S PAIN

Candice screamed at the top of her lungs. She wanted to find him—to help him, but how could she without knowing where he was? Were the images bombarding her mind real? Mason had been with her at the front of the house not long ago.

Nick and Ryan grabbed her under her arms and aided her to her feet. The door burst open before Jared ran into the room, concern evident on his face. "Put her on the bed."

"Where is Mason?" She jerked out of her friend's hold to grab Jared's shirt collar. "He is somewhere in the forest, close to death. We have to find him!"

Jared's eyes widened with shock. "He left about an hour ago." His eyes darkened, golden electricity flowing through them. "I can't connect with him."

Staggering forward, Candice reached for the door. She clung to the frame, trying to control the pain stabbing every muscle in her body. The pull of her bond with Mason moved her forward. Everyone followed her as she went down the corridor and descended the stairs. Painful tremors shot through her, making her whimper. Before she fell forward, a hand encircled her waist.

Jared pulled back once she regained her footing. Even though her legs shuddered and threatened to fail, Candice stormed out of the house, then down the porch steps. Wasting no time, she bolted into the woods, encircling the homes of Jared's pack members.

As she sped through the forest, as if her life depended on it, a branch from a tree slashed her cheek, likely leaving her with a large cut just below her cheekbone. The chilly night air whipped around her, making her shiver, but she didn't care. She had to get to her mate before it was too late.

When she turned, she halted. Perplexed, her gaze followed the dancing branches. The wind had stopped, yet they continued to move as if telling her she was headed in the wrong direction. Everyone caught up with her. As she followed the branches, she smelled the fragrances all around her. Her heart dropped to the ground when her nostrils registered the scent of blood.

Her mate's blood.

She pushed her legs to move faster, coming to a halt at the sight of Mason motionless on the forest floor. Dried blood covered most of his left arm, half of his face, and part of his torso. His face was pale. The frost on his lips and lashes confirmed he had been on the ground for a while.

He seemed dead.

Candice shook her head in disbelief, a hand over her trembling lips. Her body shuddered visibly. "No! Mason!"

She couldn't lose him, too. If she did, the thin thread she had been hanging on for so long would finally snap, sending her into madness.

When she was by his side, Jared held her back before she could touch him to see if he was still alive. Tears flooded down her cheeks as she struggled against him. "Let me go!" A blazing heat enveloped her body as it quivered against her will. A loud scream escaped her lips, which turned into a frightening growl.

"What's happening?" Nick asked.

"Candice, you need to calm down. Help is coming, but we shouldn't move him--"

The wolf spirit within fought for complete control. When Jared didn't let her go, she shoved him back with enough force before falling on all fours, screeching. Her body ached like it was ripped apart. Before she could start the shift, the lights went out.

Candice opened her eyes to find herself in a white room. When she tried to move, she realized they had cuffed her hands to the sides of the bed. Her friends walked into the room, all with evident concern for her.

Nick approached her and used a key to release her hands from the handcuffs. "Sorry, but Jared said it would be best to keep you like this until you wake up. Your wolf almost took over."