1: Rogue

Small birds flitted about the branches that towered over Candice, singing beautiful melodies

Small birds flitted about the branches that towered over Candice, singing beautiful melodies. A gust of wind pushed her brunette hair over her face, bringing with it the rich perfume of the golden flowers around her. She put on her brave facade as she faced the dark-haired boy who stood up straight with his shoulders back, chin held high, waiting for their training to commence.

Come on Candice, you can do this. She gazed into his gemstone-green eyes. They narrowed as he concentrated on his next move.

Her arm throbbed; her entire body did. Glancing around, she tried to locate her brother, Andrew, to tell him she had enough. She wasn't going to be able to bring down the werewolf in front of her. Why couldn't Andrew have chosen someone else? Why did he have to choose his best friend, Nick, to give her the first training of her life? It was like throwing her into the deep end of the pool and expecting her to know how to swim.

Andrew, I can't do this. Nick is stronger than I am.

Within seconds, she could feel the soft tickle in her head that came when a pack member connected with her through telepathy. Her brother's modulated voice filled her mind as if he had spoken the words directly into her ear. How do you know you can't if you don't try?

How on earth would she bring Nick down and snatch the green triangle-shaped flag from the branch of the tree behind him? He had trained since he was sixteen to become the next Beta of the pack. On the other hand, she had never been interested in training until Andrew forced her today. With all his skills, Nick could easily knock her on her ass in the blink of an eye.

He smiled, flaunting his white teeth. "C'mon, Candice. All you gotta do is beat me."

Candice glanced down at her open palm and stared at the intricate gold lines that intertwined to form the profile of a wolf's head, her pack's symbol. The gold color meant that she was from an Alpha bloodline. She folded her fingers into a fist, her nails digging into her skin. Alphas were powerful wolves who led packs wisely. They didn't hesitate or feel fear.

She sprinted toward Nick. When close enough, she kicked at him. She didn't see him move until he had his fingers wrapped around her ankle, stopping her from striking his shoulder. It was of no surprise that he anticipated the attack.

He shoved her back, making her stumble for a moment. With a smile on his face, he kicked at her. Her feet went out from under her seconds before her back struck the forest floor, hard. Ignoring the sharp electric tremors shooting up her spine, she lurched to her feet. Nick paced around her, a smug look on his face. As he studied her, the dazzling sunlight reflected in his eyes, making them glimmer amber for a moment.

Once again, she dashed toward him. Without effort, she leaped over him and landed on her feet without losing her balance. Before he could face her, she whirled around, fist closed, and swung. The blow to his shoulder sent him stumbling sideways, almost tripping over his own feet and collapsing to the ground.