CHAPTER FOUR : THE ROYAL GALA

Start from the beginning

Food stations at the side of the ballroom were filled with bubbling drinks of all different kinds. The light seemed to radiate with no visible source. The music was low and jazzy, and everyone around them walked in the air of superiority, looking at them down their nose, their robes glittering from the light.

As my eyes wandered around the beauty of the place, my eyes fell on a certain blond wizard. At first, I couldn't figure out if it was really him. But when he turned, I could see his face. The pale face and glittering grey eyes.

Malfoy looked rather comfortable around the purebloods as he held hands with a girl younger than his age. I wondered to myself how easy it was for him to act ordinary after the war, knowing his family had destroyed a thousand lives.

How has he not suffocated already?

But Malfoy wouldn't. Taking up responsibility for their crime was something they never did. And Draco was no different. They committed their horrible deeds irrespective of whom they affected. Be it Dobby or Malfoy's friend Goyle. I knew Malfoy didn't take responsibility for any of them.

Here I was— mourning my loved one's death and suffering post-war traumas. But people like him were unaffected. They would always remain unaffected. A certain form of hatred began to develop in my mind toward Malfoy as I kept staring at him. He didn't seem to have noticed me.

"You alright, Harry?" Ginny distracted me.

"Yeah," I replied nervously.

She nudged closer to me. "You look pale. Let's get you a drink."

"Yeah, sure," I nodded.

We headed toward the drinks counter, where many people were crowded. Ginny and I fought our way inside, but the people were coming onto us. I managed to walk past them, but Ginny was left behind.

"Don't worry," I shouted over the noise, "I'll get you one."

The table was filled with various colourful drinks. I knew Ginny's favourite drink- gillywater. I picked one for myself and tried to grab one for Ginny when a hand appeared from the crowd, holding the same glass I had intended to do.

I wanted to back off my hand, but it was too late. Both of our hands grabbed the same glass, pulling it in the opposite direction, causing the drink to spill. I looked up to apologise to the other person when my eyes caught the sight of sparkling grey eyes.

I was dumbfounded. My mouth hung open as Malfoy gave me mean looks before grabbing another drink and storming off, muttering something scornfully under his breath.

The crowd began to disperse, and Ginny caught up to me.

"Harry?" she called out. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, yes," I said, "I just saw Malfoy. I almost spilt the drink on him, actually."

"Huh?" Ginny said. "Is he even allowed to go out in public like that?"

"I was wondering the same thing," I confessed. "Looked pretty normal to me."

"Did he say anything to you?" she asked.

"No," I admitted, "And that was the most confusing part. He did seem angry but didn't say a word to me."

"Must be trying to stay out of trouble," she said. "Come on. Let's find ourselves a table. The main ceremony will start soon."

"Yeah," I said and walked with Ginny, my eyes still searching for the blond boy in the crowd, who seemed to have disappeared.

Draco's POV

Potter was here.

That brat thought it was ok to attend a pureblood ball. How special did he think he was? Just because he saved the entire wizarding world didn't give him the right to simply interrupt a civilised social function.