09

09 - alice

24 days, 13 hours, 14 minutes, 6 seconds. I calculated down to the second how long until I saw mother again. I wasn't quite sure I had wanted to. Sure she was always available to visit, but it was my choice whether or not I wanted to do it. Last time I had seen her had been a while ago. I flipped open Clyde from the year before to find the date.

April 7th, 2014. The last time I had visited her she told me how Nana had tricked me into thinking she was horrible, and how she was really perfectly sane. And that she loved me and wished it didn't have to be this way. That she regrets murdering him with all her heart...

She had to have been really sincere! But even now I didn't think I could forgive her. She murdered someone in cold blood, knowing I was there. It was one of the worst things she could have done. That evening, I could hear him screaming from my bedroom.

"Die you bastard! First you touch my sister's child, then you touch my child?"

Their argument could be heard even from my bedroom on the second floor. I hid under my covers, blanket pulled over my head and tucked around my chin, leaving only a space for my face. Tears ran down my cheeks as I sucked in a breath, then let it all out again.

"Mommy..." I muttered, shaking, rocking back and forth. I heard a loud bang from downstairs and jumped, letting out a shriek. My father was out. "Daddy!" I cried, wishing for someone to come and comfort me.

"Annie, you're making a mistake..." the man, my uncle, yelled. I heard another bang, then a scream of agony.

"Am I?" she retorted, the sound of a knife slicing through skin. "You sick bastard!"

He gasped for air, spluttering, "You are, Annie! Just think about it,"

"Stop whining, let me finish this," she yelled back. I crawled out of my covers, sobbing uncontrollably. I couldn't breath, I couldn't open my eyes. All I could do was try to stop her. Why was she hurting my uncle? Why was she being like this?

I trudged down the stairs, chest heaving, "Mommy!" I cried. She turned to face me, blood covering her arms and hands, my uncle laying on the floor, blood pouring from his sides, large holes in his shirt. "Mommy, stop!"

"Alice get back in your room. Now!" she yelled, a fire in her eyes I'd never seen before.

"Mommy, stop hurting him!" I screamed, running down the rest of the stairs and to his side, grabbing him and shaking him, "Wake up! Wake up!"

"It's okay, baby," he cooed.

"You're bleeding!" I panicked.

"Alice, get off of him!"

"N-no..." I said. She pulled me off of him by my underarms, and sat me down on the sink. I tried to get up, but she shoved me back down, slapping my chest, "Stop..." I wheezed.

She searched through the counters, looking for something, "Baby, you know I love you and your father does too, but you can't let him do this to you. You can let him make you believe he's a sane man, Alice, you'll understand when you're older what he did to your cousin, but for now you need to forgive mommy for what she's about to do."

"N-no!" I yelled again, curling up into a ball in the sink, closing my eyes tightly. I heard the cock of a gun, a sudden scream, then a loud bang. Red filled my vision as I opened my eyes. I couldn't hear anything. I was screaming with no sound. I was deaf.

And that's when I was brought out of my memory.

"Are you okay?" Kent asked, sitting down next to me. I quickly wiped at my cheeks, realizing I was crying.