Chapter 30: Attempt to Reconcile

Start from the beginning

Ah yes! The hour of the owl! One of our important celebrations! "Oh! So that means we will be seeing you in the capital to celebrate?"

"If I have anything to say about it, yes, Your Grace."

"Alicent, please call me 'father.' You're Otto's daughter, but as you married my son, you're one of us."

"As you wish, Your Gr― ah, I mean, father. Did you get the new tapestries we sent you? The ones from Norvos and Qohor?"

Viserys nodded. By 'we', I suppose you mean 'yourself.' Aeonar has not shown any interest in such things. Tapestries are not his forte. But I do appreciate the gesture. "Oh, oh. Yes, Alicent we did, that was very thoughtful. We just set them up in the gallery before coming here."

"Well, I'd like to see them," Rhaenyra chimed.

"Oh, well, then you shouldn't deprive yourself when you get home."

Yes, he is mad. "Never mind. I shall enjoy them alone." Rhaenyra said before excusing herself to tend to Syrax, as the yellow-green-eyed dragon chirped at her rider's arrival.

Alicent felt the awkwardness. "Ahem!" she cleared her throat, gathering her guests' attention. "Might I offer you something to eat or drink, my lords?" she offered. Her servants then arrived to provide each of them with trays of bread and salt. "On behalf of my husband, the Prince of Dragonstone, we welcome you beneath our roof, and at our table. I extend to you our hospitality and our protection in the light of the Seven." It's not much, but it's what we could salvage from our imported reserves. Still, I wish the island had more to offer. She then gave a small chuckle. "I would offer you something more pleasant, but I'm told that most of our food is... limited to fish."

Otto dipped his portion of bread in salt before nibbling at it. He understood that in her condition Alicent was in no state to be consuming anything that might harm her unborn child. Nevertheless, the Hand was cunning enough to realize it was not merely a symbolic gesture on his daughter's part, but also a strategic one. By offering them the ancient and sacred guest right, once invoked neither the guest can harm his host nor the host harm his guest for the length of the guest's stay.

"Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about that. We've lived on this island before so we're quite familiar with Dragonstone's geography. No need to trouble yourself to accommodate us," Viserys dismissed as he chewed his bread. He then turned his head left, then right, as if he were looking for something... or someone. "By the way, Alicent, is Aeonar somewhere nearby? I'd like to see him."

"He said he was going on a hunt with Daemon, but he didn't say where or how long it would take," Alicent answered.

"So, Daemon is here as well?" Otto raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

"Y-Yes, father. He came from King's Landing not too long ago."

Beatrice frowned. Shit. That little rat must have been the one who spied on us. I will need to inform my benefactor of the situation as soon as possible.

"*Reeeeeee!*"

"*Rooooorr!*"

"Dragons returning!" a sentry called out.

Syrax shrieked as Vaelor and Caraxes flew overhead and circled to begin their descent. Once both male dragons made landfall, Beatrice could see the size comparison between Vaelor, Caraxes, and Syrax. Being the smallest, Syrax grew to 100 feet in length; Caraxes measured 165 feet; and Vaelor at 185, making him the largest of the trio. All three had progressively grown, but it was the Blood Wyrm and Swiftrunner whose size increased due to being granted more freedom and plenty of space to move. The queen, although a political player in her own right, still had to tread cautiously when confronted by three dragons. Still, Beatrice need not be concerned yet. Her own son's egg hatched moments ago – a dragonling with golden scales that glistened in the sunlight and pale pink wing membranes.