He nodded, "At once, ma'am." A veritable flood of mythical creatures and historical figures seemed to burst through into the ballroom, all of them coming to thank us. Will, Richard and James seemed quite glad to let us ladies step forward and take credit. There were so many people, and they were dressed so outlandishly, that I could barely recognize anyone as they came up to speak to us.

I must have been standing there for half an hour when I felt Will slip his hand into mine, his voice light. "I think you've done enough."

"Oh, but there may be late comers." I peered out over the dance floor, the crowd clearly waiting for the band to begin playing. "Someone should greet them."

"And Mrs. Vanderbilt is more than able to." Will pulled me after him, and I noticed that he had lost his sword. "I want to dance with my wife."

I laughed as he caught me around the waist, feeling excited as we joined the group waiting for the band. I was glad that I had convinced Will to wear the kilt, for I felt that he was easily the most handsome men present. Let the Caesars and the Kings flirt, my Scot was all I needed. I was just about to tell him that when the band suddenly rushed into a fast rag, and Will was quickly guiding me around the floor. I laughed, "Oh, I forgot how much fun these fast dances are!"

"Indeed," Will spun me around quickly, "And your costume is even more becoming during it." I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror as we moved past, and he was right. The organza cape swirled around me, and the trailing veil like pieces made it look like I was coming up out of the seas to tempt unwary sailors to their doom. Will leaned closer, "And I think every man here knows I'm dancing with the most beautiful lady here, and that she's all mine."

I batted at his chest, "Will, stop."

"If I stopped I'd be lying." He chuckled, although he drew us to the side as the song ended. The crowd quickly busied themselves with switching partners, and I found Oscar immediately at my side. I could see Richard dancing with Liz, while James swung Moira around.

Oscar drew my attention with a squeeze of my hand, "You look lovely tonight, by the way."

"Thank you," I replied automatically, "And I find your costume rather funny."

"Funny?" He cracked a smile. "I'm a threatening and domineering Commodore, I would think I'm more than funny."

"Oh yes, you're very intimidating." I rolled my eyes, "Although I think a Siren would be your enemy then."

"You, my enemy? Never, Anastasia." He swept my hand up and pressed a kiss to it as the music ended. "I would never do you harm." He did smile at something over my shoulder though, "Although I may use you to save my father." He raised a hand, "Father! Care to dance with Mrs. Murdoch? I think Mother would let you retire after."

Richard, lumbering up to us, nodded. "If you wouldn't mind, Mrs. Murdoch? I'm afraid I'm not one for balls nowadays."

"Of course, Mr. Vanderbilt." I agreed, letting him pull me into a waltz. Mr. Vanderbilt was a perfect gentleman for the entire dance, and left me with a bow. He was off to go have a cigar, or five, and the fact that he danced with me seemed to have opened the gates for the other older men. I danced with what seemed like an endless parade of them, and not all of them were as proper as Richard. I glared at one who was very clearly not looking at my face. "Sir, are you going to dance with me or just stare?"

Flustered, he immediately looked up. "Of course Mrs. Murdoch, I'm very sorry. Your necklace is stunning, sapphires?"

"Yes." I kept my voice clipped, because it was quite obvious. "And your cufflinks, gold?"

"Yes." He replied, although he stopped quickly and I almost went past him.

James was standing there, clearly feeling awkward. "I would like to dance with Mrs. Murdoch."