Chapter 117

- Wake up, young man. -

Naell's drifting consciousness finally trended into the voice that was telepathically calling him. As he opened his eyes, what came into view made him close them once more.

- ...You're quite the odd one aren't you? -

With just a glimpse, he knew he was inside a cave, perhaps an underground location or crater that formed from the blazing fire that ate him.

- Don't pretend to fall asleep on that rock. -

Plop, some water went. It had fallen from the stalactites and echoed the faint splatters around him.

"..."

Plop, went some more. The cool environment was only inviting his drowsiness, while the soft high pitched voice reverberated throughout the unfamiliar yet weirdly soothing place.

"Hey please wake up..."

Yet no one could really doze off under that persistent chatter. With that, Naell's mind became occupied in trying his best to remember what had just occurred a while ago.

*******

Before the flames had devoured him, Naell managed to shield himself with his mana shield. Not long after he also infused it with his ice crystal magic.

Though no matter how successful his defense was, all attempts to escape the flames' grasps ultimately failed. As when he tried to move out, his levitation and even wind magic were not activating.

That was when he realized that the intensity of flame magic was to the point it was disrupting his own. He was against abilities far superior than his pure white mana.

Truth be told, in that one moment, Naell's chest tightened with sudden anxiety. For so long his mana's capabilities had proven its worth against most of his foes.

He was even uncertain that he could maintain his shield under the powers' immense pressure. It was also the very first time he felt himself sweat.

As minutes passed by and his surroundings became of fire, Naell, without much of a choice, accepted his fate and let his thoughts consume him.

First, he thought of the protagonist's party clashing against the pieces of Lucile. 'I hope they win without anyone dying.'

Next he recalled the joy and fatigue he experienced from hanging out with Casper and his noble friends. 'They always tried to keep me company.'

Then, he wondered if someday Owly would also learn such overpowered disruption magic like the one he was in. 'Hah, of course he will. He's not Wisdom's son for nothing.'

For a while that specific thought lingered in his mind when all of a sudden, his gaze grew distant and his chest tightened once more.

In that moment, Naell boosted his mana regardless of how hopeless his attempt still was. Those last ditch efforts were paired with a realization he greatly disliked- he would never be able to witness Owly's growth ever again.

"..."

With a sigh of frustration and acceptance, Naell weakly watched the brightest blaze slowly being followed by the darkening of his vision

As that happened, the greatest of regrets finally hit him. On instinct he could only mutter a woeful apology to the original Naell.

"...I'm sorry I died before you could return to the family."