Chapter 48

"We knew you changed, yet we couldn't forgive you... even now."

Andrew could still remember how he dueled Naell, how he was unbending to his mistakes, how he harassed Viola, and how he disrespected Rinca, the last person who seemed to have believed in him.

On the other hand, memories from that time were quite blurry for Viola. All she could recall was the image of when Naell grabbed her; his vicious smile lingered in her memories, yet her feelings were far from fear, and were more of confusion.

Even so, her memory of his harassment was most vivid in her dreams. She had even discussed with them how she would sometimes dream that Naell was actually protecting her.

Yet none of that mattered, as what they saw was the reality they had to believe, the young master of Beryldot was a villain.

It was also the first time they saw Rinca cry. They all knew it was not because of rage, but from pity knowing the Naell they once knew was already gone.

In truth, if it weren't for Rinca and the Duke of Arigare owing his life to Fharom, the bannermen of Arigare would have destroyed the estate of Beryldot for disrespecting their liege.

Yet with her plea, it was protected and told under the Duke's words that if any harm comes to Beryldot, they too will suffer the wrath of the Arigare.

Those details weren't in the novel Naell had read on earth, yet he learned of it some time ago thanks to his curiosity. From then on, he was faced with the harsh reality; the world he was currently living in was not simply the novel he read, but a life he seriously should consider.

Therefore, he decided, living a life out of the limelight and prestige should be his priority. Not just because he was lazy, but also to evade the prying eyes of those who wished to harm the estate of Beryldot.

At that moment the three were not uttering any words, yet their eyes were locked onto one another. Naell then decided to break free from the silence as he said,

"I am not asking for your forgiveness as well."

Both of them were surprised. What they saw was a face filled with understanding yet void of guilt. Seemingly out of pity but not with himself nor them.

Naell had a hard time facing the sin he knew he did not commit. He could only slowly mutter every word.

"The--- my past, I have suffered and I believe I deserve it. That is why, I won't ask for your forgiveness, but I won't apologize as well for I already paid for my mistake."

It was a weird feeling, and sometimes he'd feel that the old owner of his body was watching him. Deep in his heart, as if the old Naell was there creeping in his conscience. Solidifying his pride not to apologize.

"Well, if it's okay with you..." Viola spoke, but her words were completely inaudible to the man she faced.

'I will grant your wish if you don't want me to apologize.' Naell thought to himself, knowing regardless now, he wouldn't apologize for something he didn't do.

"Let's just put this behind us and---" Andrew continued, speaking to the still silent young master.

'Was there more that the novel didn't say, Naell?' He thought to himself once more, questioning his uncertain past.

"Friends...?"

''...''

.

.

.

''Young master Naell?'' Asked Viola softly. She was startled when Naell appeared to have only now woken up from his thoughts.