01 - little barista

FOUR YEARS AGO

FOUR YEARS AGO

Tuesday, February 26th

The early hours of the café were usually busy, having much to do with the morning rush. However, once it was late in the afternoon, the lack of customers left me with nothing to do. I had been waiting in the back for the bell to ring out front for quite some time.

I re-tied my hair after I finished sorting all of the boxes, and I made sure that every loose strand was put back in their proper place. When the familiar bell eventually rang, I rose from squatting.

"Grayson, can you take care of them?" Ayperi, my coworker, found me amidst all the boxes with her head covered. "I need to fix my hijab."

"Go ahead Peri, I got it." I kept my eyes low as I passed by her.

Ayperi was probably one of the nicest people I had ever met in America. At that time, she was around my age. We got along extremely well, and she was just about the only tolerable person in the shop.

After a few months of me working there, she had confessed her feelings towards me. However, I had to find a way to politely reject her on the spot, and tell her that I don't exactly "swing that way." We stayed friends regardless, but that didn't last long after the incidents of this day.

I reached the counter out front, but no one seemed to be waiting to order. But it was then when I saw a familiar face sitting by the same window seat as always, reading a novel. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face as I ambled over to his table.

I tapped his shoulder. "Hey, stranger."

Mateo turned his head and flashed me a charming smile. "I was wondering where you were."

"It's kind of strange how you always seem to know when I'm working." I then tapped my lower jaw, fighting against a grin. "Did you ask my coworkers or something?"

He shrugged with a smirk. "Ayperi may have told me..."

"Right, of course she did." I rolled my eyes before tipping my head to the side. "Nothing for you again?" I asked, knowing that as usual, he wouldn't order anything.

He shook his head. "You know I'm only here for you, Gray."

I brought my bottom lip back into my mouth, suppressing my smile. "Let me know if you need anything."

"Of course." He smiled at me once more, then went back to reading his book.

I headed back over to the counter, and immediately, I got to sorting through the coffee beans. Just as I squatted down, the bell at the door rang again.

"I'll be right with you in a second!" I called out.

At that time of day, it was usually older people who came in. So, I curiously peeked over the counter, wondering if it was who I was expecting.