02 - jinxed

Wednesday, July 20th

The air is thin, making my sprint towards the car ten times faster. If I'm not quick, my ass will be shot down to the ground in a matter of seconds.

The Vipers, the city's most dangerous mafia, caught us in the act. And I'm sure whoever is in charge isn't happy with a few no-name thieves taking their shipment.

"Hazel, how's it looking?" I semi-shout into my earpiece.

I weave in between cars, taking a few moments to catch my breath. The minute I start to run again, Hazel says, "I'm almost there!"

I spin my head to look back, and the bullets from their rifles manage to miss every opportunity to hit me. I didn't know their aim could be that bad.

I slide behind a car, hitting my earpiece again. "Guys, I don't know how much longer I can be a distraction for."

A flash of light diverts my attention to the left, and I see Finn giving me a signal from the rooftop next to Hazel.

I sigh, relieved that we can finally get out of here unscathed. "Alright, let's move-"

The blade of a knife presses behind my ear. "I don't think you'll be going anywhere."

It's a man with a Scottish accent. It's subtle, but I still can barely understand him.

"Get up." He demands, and I slowly slide up until the knife now rests on my neck. It restricts me from turning to look at his face.

He adjusts the knife in his hand. "You're pretty bold, aren't ya?"

His adjustment of the knife gives me an opening, and I snatch the blade right from his grasp. Once in mine, I hit him right in the forehead with the butt of the knife, knocking him out almost instantly.

"You alright?" Harlow asks, coming into my view a few meters away.

I stretch my shoulder, wincing slightly at its tenderness. "Yup," my voice strains. "Let's get the fuck out of here." I start off with a jog before breaking out into a sprint towards the car, and Harlow follows right after.

"The other two are already there," she says, catching up to me.

When we reach the car, I yank the door open, practically throwing myself into the vehicle. Harlow does the same.

"Finn, step on it." I order, slamming my door closed. "Hazel, you know what to do."

"On it, Gray." She pulls up her screen, clicking a few buttons before I hear a domino of explosions behind us.

I peer outside my window as Finn speeds off, and the last thing I catch a glimpse of is a man standing tall on a roof with his hands in his pockets. I wave with a grin, knowing his eyes are set on us.