30

No one was home

No one was home. Ansar was out for his own company meetings and Faris was only Allah knew where. Hunger had kicked in badly and Laila could only roll around in bed clutching her stomach. She regretted all those times she left half food in plate disrespecting Allah's blessings upon her. She now realized how much of unregretful and a spoilt brat she had been all those times. Many people would have slept empty stomach all those times she left food in her plate. No doubt we humans were the the most ungrateful creatures of all.

And no doubt Allah is so merciful to still provide us even after all we do.

The limit of her patience had crossed. She kicked the soft duvet away and marched down toward the kitchen. Thank goodness she had sent maids away toward their quarters this morning. 

The nutella jar standing proudly on the main shelf of fridge made it look like a knight with shining armor who came to save the princess just in time, in this case, a very hungry Laila having worst of her mood swings. Laila jumped on it as soon as her eyes fell on the brown beauty. The heaven she had found so easily lasted only a moment as she heard a loud thump behind her.

Her heart seemed to stop for a moment.

It happened too fast for a slow brain like Laila's to even understand. One moment she was standing here relishing on such blissful taste of delicious looking brown beauty and the next moment she was staring at a very shocked looking wide eyed Faris.

Add to it, she found him on his hands and knees. Poor boy was too shocked to even see the step on the kitchen doorway and ended up falling on his knees. Too shocked to even get back up and stand straight.

"Laila." Was all he could say. 

Fireworks seemed to be exploding in Laila's mind and blood rushed to her cheeks. "I swear it's not what it looks like Faris."

What was worse? Getting caught eating when everyone thought you were fasting or getting caught cheating on your husband?

Because Laila felt both feelings at the same time and that was the worst feeling of all the time.

"You-" Words got stuffed in his throat. "You were fasting Laila." He seemed to chock them out, forcing them over his tongue.

"Let me explain it to you Faris." Faris only blinked ta her. Too shocked to understand anything else. The present morning he had left home too happy that it was his first Ramadan with his precious wife.

He was over the top of the world.

"And you broke it."

"I am on my periods you illiterate piece of shit." There, Laila finally had said it. A burden had seemed to lift from her heavy heart, but again. Again that feeling was short lived when another thump was heard.

And thank god it was not a human who fell this time, only some bags. Too bad for Laila, those bags belonged to her one and only brother who stood behind a Faris with mouth wide open and cheeks tinted red.

Luck was never in favour of Laila.

And the scene now looked something like a very guilty looking Laila now standing with a pretty jar of nutella in her hands, Faris on his hands and knees with mouth still wide open looking quite shocked and Aswad mirroring expressions similar to Faris.

This felt worse then getting caught cheating to Laila now and she could only hope for the earth to open up and swallow Laila right at the moment.

* * *

The trio sat in lounge in front of each other. Heads down and faces flushed red. Unable to even look at each other even in the eyes they just kept looking down at their hands. 

"I- I came to deliver you some gifts for Eid." Aswad mumbled looking down at his hands. "Sorry." He didn't even know why he said sorry.

To interrupt the couple at the wrong time? Or for hearing something he should not have?

"It's alright."

But Faris kept silent looking down at his end. Mind empty and eyes still wide.

"I should go then." Aswad got up followed by other two. Rubbing the back of his neck he shook he said his goodbyes, embarrassment still lurking on his face. 

Silence ruled over them as soon as Aswad left. Both avoided each other's eyes. Stolen glances seemed to make it worse for them. Awkwardness made home between the couple as shyness found its way home. "I am sorry." And Faris was the one to break the silence.

Laila only nodded in answer.

"But you should have told me before." And the stolen glances turned into annoyed glares.

The deathly stare Laila threw at Faris only made him shudder yet he kept his composer straight. If they could kill, Faris would be found buried deep six feet under the ground. "How do expect me to tell you that. We are only married for a month and half and you expect me to come to you saying Hey Faris I am on my periods so I can't Fast."

Faris frowned at her ridiculous answer. "Yes, you are expected to tell me atleast that. I am your husband. I have an idea how much of painful these things can be. You are expected to tell me these things so I could be a little helpful to you. I want to help you Laila."

"I-" Laila stopped and stared at him for a moment, eyes narrowed and lips pursed.

"What?"

"You get periods?" That was an honest question on behalf of Laila. But Faris reaction was more honest then her question. He had said all of that and she had to say that.

"Fuck you." He get up and walked away from her Leaving a very unlady like snickering Laila behind.

"SORRY."

"FUCK YOU."

And her loud laughter arose behind a very angry Faris. The sweet sound of her laughter felt like a melody to Faris ears and smile took its place on his pursed lips. Indeed that' what he wanted to her from Laila all his life.

And if he could, he would bring world to her feet just to make the girl smile because of him.