Chapter 22

Jess' pov

It was finally Friday, the last day of this school year and also the day of the Christmas party.

I was really excited when I woke up.

Our classes for today were canceled, which meant Jeremiah and I had the whole school for ourselves.

We agreed to meet at 10 am at school and it was currently 9 am, so I had an hour to get ready and go to school.

I didn't really pay much attention to appearance, I preferred comfortable clothes for today. I'll do that later today.

I looked at my dress which was hanging in front of my mirror, it was one of the little reasons I looked forward to tonight.

Jared texted me yesterday asking me the color of my dress to match his own outfit, so I guess he was serious about being my date.

It was such a Jared thing to get his outfit a day before, he always does this.

I got ready and left my house.

It was exactly 10 am when I got out of my car and walked towards the school.

I saw Jeremiah's car in the parking lot, he is never early to these kinds of things.

The school was really quiet, we were the only ones here.

I made my way towards Mr. Herfsts office and got the bags of stuff I ordered last week.

I arrived at the gym and saw Jeremiah sitting on a table. He was on his phone.

I dropped the bags with a loud thud, this made him jump.

"Jesus Jessica, did you have to scare me?" he asked with his hand on his heart.

"Yeah, it seemed more fun that way." I said, also sitting down.

"So this is everything." I said, looking at all the bags of stuff we ordered.

"Yeah." He said, starting to unpack the bags.

"I think we should do the balloons last. We can start with the garlands." I said doing the same.

"Okay, where do you want these?"

"I think we can hang them up right there." I pointed.

"I don't like that." He said. "It would be better if it's on the other side."

"It's literally the same place, Jeremiah." I said, sounding slightly annoyed.

"No, it's not."

I sighed, without saying anything else.

It was too early to fight with him.

I felt him looking at me for a moment and then he finally threw the package in front of me.

"Here. Show me." He said.

I couldn't hide a smile, knowing that I could do it my way.

I walked to the ladder and placed it, where I wanted to hang the garland.

"Can you give it to me?" I said, climbing to the top.

He walked over to me and handed it to me.

"Okay so I'm gonna hang this side here and the other side over there." I pointed to the other side.

"Mhm."

I took the garland from Jeremiah and reached out to the ceiling to pin it there, but it was a bit far from where I was standing.

I moved to the edge of the ladder to be able to reach the ceiling, but it didn't work.

"I think we need to place the ladder more to the wall." I said, looking down.