A close call

" Come on Lui! Get a move on! " shouted a very excited Dante waiting for him about three meters away, " We gotta hurry up! "

" Easy boy, I'm on my way ", replied the older one, smiling with amusement, " And please stop running? "

" I can't! I just can't wait to see renovations to the sushi shop! " 

Lui laughed at the answer the blond gave him: his little brother was really worse than a four-year-old when it came to Beyblade, food and games...

" Moreover, Free and the others are already waiting for us at the restaurant ", he continued, " We have to speed up so as not to be late! "

" Ah! Don't worry about being late: Free always came at the time he wanted when he was younger..."

" Really? "

" Yeah. It tended to piss off BC Sol coaches, but as he was world champion, they gave up..."

He finally reached him and the two resumed their march, the blond pulling the oldest by the hand. But when they walked past a manga shop, the frozen ogre stopped to look through the window. Annoyed, Dante tried to force him to follow him.

" Come on Lui! We're really gonna be late! "

" Wait, I look at what new volumes have come out ", he teasingly replied.

The dragon tamer pouted when he saw that he was not going to leave any time soon, so he turned around and began to run.

" See you later at the restaurant! "

Lui turned his head to look at his little brother. But he froze in terror when he saw Dante start running on the crosswalk.

" Dante, wait! Slow down! "

The blond turned to pull his tongue, but his farcical mood vanished in less than a second when he saw a truck moving in his direction. With his eyes wide open and white skin, he was like a deer caught between the headlights. He heard the truck horn, but remained frozen on the spot.

Arms closed around his waist and he was thrown onto the sidewalk by someone, on whom he landed hard. As people began to surround them to check him and the person, the blond still under the shock raised his head to see the face of the one who had just saved him.

" Don't. Ever. Do that. To me again! Do you understand?! " The voice was furious and at the same time terrorized. 

His eyes filled with tears as he buried his face in the torso of his savior.

" Lui..." 

The frozen ogre rubbed his little brother's back, to reassure him in addition to himself.

" He's alive, calm-down ", he thought, repelling his own tears. He would have nightmares for a long time: his little brother hit by a truck because he hadn't time to push him off the road. 

He looked at his bey, which he held in his left hand. It shone with a gentle soothing glow: the little boost his partner had given him had never been so vital.

Finally, he got up on his legs, still trembling with adrenaline and fear, and raised his little brother.

" Come on, let's go home."

" But, and the restaurant? " The blond looked at his brother, still a little pale. 

" Next time ", he answered without accepting any other answer, " I will call Free to apologize. For now, I just need to lie on the couch."

And being sure you're wrapped up in a dozen plaids, someplace safe...

True to his word, about 20 minutes later, the frozen ogre was on the couch with his little brother on his lap, watching a cartoon and eating warm leftovers. He had called his companion as soon as the blond had gone to change to apologize for not going to the restaurant and to inform him of the near disaster that had happened: how to say that the lone wolf of BC Sol almost left the restaurant to make sure in person that Dante was okay...

Not exactly what was originally planned, but under the circumstances, it wouldn't have been otherwise.

So... I'm really sorry for having been so long ! 😖 But School + Writer block = X updates