~29~

ϟ this is a double update, make sure to read ch. 28 before moving forward! ϟ

* tw: minor panic / state of shock *
(nothing descriptively gore, but i still put the warning up just in case)

By the time I finished my practice run my adrenaline was at an all time high and my eyes wouldn't stray away from the clock, blinking in sync with the clicking sound it would make to signify another second gone by

For most of my break before the race, I spent it alone in my lounge with Zayn occasionally darting by to check up on me as if I was about to throw a rage fit whenever he was gone. He would notice how I would space out sometimes when talking to me and would change the subject to something lighter like what my plans for the night after the race consisted of or how my current project was going and my problems became irrelevant for the time being.

"Everything's set, do I need to flag down the pit to keep an eye out?" I shook my head, suddenly remembering he probably isn't seeing me right now.

"I'm good, just wanna get this over with." I huffed, adjusting my earpiece when I felt it loosening a little and pressing my foot harder against the gas as I slumped back against my seat. It never mattered how much room the car had, my space felt smaller each time I hopped inside of the car.

The nightly roars from the crowd seemed to amuse everyone but me, the fabric of my jeans underneath my fingertips scratching my skin and keeping my mind busy until the lights flashed the race to a start. My nail polish seemed like a good place to start. It'd begun chipping by my nail beds, but picking at them kept my mind busy until my eyes found my second distraction – cars.

My mind was a fuse waiting to burst into flames. Every second that ticked closer to the moment I had to send all caution to the wind and floor it, every single one of my surroundings were like a time ticking bomb until the only sound that flooded my eardrums was the rumble of the engine as I ran down the track.

As always, all that was coming through the earpiece was Zayn's mumbling around making sure everything was set in place and for me to keep him updated, something that pissed him off to no end when I'd stay mute with the occasional curse when something wasn't going my way.

Find the good in it.

Those were the only four words roaming through my mind when I gripped the steering wheel rather forcefully, my fingers now drumming against the expanse of it and feeling the smooth, yet rough material that miraculously hasn't worn out with time.

For so long I'd looked at my career for what got me in this position and not for the genuine passion I held for it since my childhood.

The joy of getting to see some of my favorite relics on a day to day basis and possessing my dream rides was part of the perks of doing this for a living, but also knowing that I get to have a taste into what my heroes walked over gives me enough satisfaction to do it all over again.