Home

Jay's POV

"Melissa? What the-"

A bunch of pieces of a puzzle I didn't know I had fall together. She never seemed to like the village. She was incredibly set on finding the tree even when her father forbade her to try, even when I was willing to give up. And she was so excited when we found the tree...

Was this her plan all along?

"Why?"

"You have no idea how much I hated it there, Jay."

I don't want to be mad at her. I really don't. But I'm so close to home, and now this happens. I just want to find my friends, my family, I don't need any more problems.

She almost seems to read my mind when she says; "You don't have to stick with me or anything.  I'll find a place. I'll be fine. You go find your friends."

And what she says is what I really want, but I know I can't. I can't leave her like that, Ninjago City is nothing like any place she's ever been. I should at least take her with me. She's not gonna find her way here alone.

"No, Melissa. It's fine. You just come with me, okay?"

"Are you not mad at me?"

"I don't know." I sigh. "I think I'm too happy that I'm almost home. But... Why?" She opens her mouth to start talking, but I stop her. "Actually, tell me on the way."

We start walking. She tells me all about how her home treats women, and girls, and how none of it makes sense to her. She tells me about her mother, who passed way too soon, who always told her to do whatever made her happy, even if she had to do it the hard way.

And I'm actually happy for her now, in a way. This may have been the best thing she could've done for herself.

I imagine, though, that her father is on his way here. We definitely had enough Traveler's Tea to create another bunch of portals, and he might not be the nicest person, but he absolutely loves his daughter. I decide not to tell her that yet, though. If she hasn't realized that for herself yet, she will soon.

"So where are we going?" Melissa finally asks after our conversation.

"To the harbor." I tell her. "The Bounty may be a flying boat, but we tend to park in in the waters."

"Flying boat??"

"Right." She has no idea of our world.

I start explaining everything about being a ninja, though I try to keep it short because I know we're not far from home. Melissa is actually really interested, and I'm glad she is, because I need a distraction from the excitement. And from the people double-taking a look at me. I don't feel like explaining to strangers where I've been all this time. Family first.

"Is this the harbor?" Melissa cuts off my story to ask her question, and she's right, it's the harbor.

The Bounty's right there.

I don't know words anymore, so my tears will have to do.

Home.

Doubt fills my mind. Maybe they got an apartment. Maybe they don't use the Bounty at all anymore. Maybe they're on a mission fighting the worst enemy we've had in forever. A lot can happen in two months.

"This... This is it." I tell Melissa.

"Oh. Shit. Uhm... You go inside. I'll just wait here."

I don't protest. I walk towards the boat, the Destiny's Bounty, my home, and it takes me a moment to set foot on it.