Chapter 1 because I suck at titles

So for the sake of the story they don't know airjitzu (cyclondo :)) and don't have the ability to call upon their elemental dragons. Otherwise they would've saved Jay and the story never would've happened. Okay? Okay.

Kai's POV

I set one of the creatures on fire, only to be immediately attacked by another. I kick it away and Cole kills it before I even get the chance to. I watch Lloyd struggle in battle with the apparent leader as another one of these things makes the mistake of messing with me. 

"What are these?!" My sister yells.

"They appear to be mutated hedgehogs." Zane says in response.

"Hedgehogs? Really??" Jay screams. "Those are supposed to be cute!"

"Anyone found a weakness?" I yell.

"Not yet!" Lloyd answers.

"Their stomach! Hit it right, and they're down!" Cole yells. Everyone follows his advice and we defeat most of them. But then, we hear Jay scream for help.

I turn his way just in time to witness the last of the creatures pushing Jay off of the cliff.

"HELP!!" Jay screams a second time.

"JAY!" I yell as I use my powers to toast the hedgehog. I prepare to jump after my boyfriend, but Lloyd holds me back.

"That's a suicide mission, Kai!"

I start breathing quickly and heavily as I watch Jay get smaller each second. "JAY!"

The moment Jay is too small to be visible to the naked eye, I collapse and cry. After a few moments, I let out a bloodcurdling scream that scares even myself.

My friends are heavily startled. (okay, I felt a little too sophisticated writing that) I don't think they've ever seen me cry, and definitely not like this. 

Lloyd and Nya sit down next to me, Zane and Cole just stare into the ravine. Lloyd hugs me from the side and I hug back. For once, I don't even try to pretend I'm not crying. I sob loudly and let the tears escape.

"No. No, this can't be. We always somehow make it. He's- He's fine. He's probably fine, right?" Cole rambles, already in denial.

"The odds of survival falling down this cliff are minimal. Statistics suggest 99% certainty of death." Zane tells us. I shout, short but powerful, after hearing the word 'death'. 

"Jay..."

-------

Lloyd's POV

I knock on the locked door of our sleeping cabin. Kai's in there alone, like he has been for the past week.

I've been worried for my best friend. He's taking the loss of Jay really hard. Harder than Cole, which I didn't expect.

But Kai's been isolating himself a lot and he zones out when we talk to him. When we talk about Jay, he snaps almost every time, saying we don't 'miss him like he does', which is hurtful. I just want to talk to him, try to figure out why this is affecting him as much as it is and why he thinks it's worse for him than for the rest of us.

I knock a second time when he doesn't respond. "Kai, please, I just wanna talk."

"Fine!" He opens the door and lets me in. "What do you want?"

"I'm worried about you, man. You- you're taking all of this really hard." I say as I notice Kai was looking at an old picture album. Photos from before I joined the team, even.